Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grooved MIM Triggers

David Sinko

As I recall, the 625 JM is offered with a grooved MIM trigger. I am not aware of any other S&W revolver being offered with such a trigger. How is the grooved MIM trigger made? Is it a modification of an existing smooth part or is it an entirely new part? Can a MIM trigger be made with many fine grooves like the old S&W triggers or do they have to be made with coarse grooves? Obviously there isn't much of a demand for grooved triggers these days (that the best revolver shooter the world has seen prefers them doesn't seem to matter in the grand scheme of things) and I still view a wide, grooved trigger as a work of art. If anybody wanted to do it, could one be duplicated with the "new, improved" MIM manufacturing process?

Dave Sinko

The current grooved trigger is ok, but grooves are very rounded. Nothing like the old cut ones. Somebody still cuts them because friend paid like $50.00 to have one grooved by a smith. Wish I had a name for ya but I don't.

As I recall, the 625 JM is offered with a grooved MIM trigger. I am not aware of any other S&W revolver being offered with such a trigger. How is the grooved MIM trigger made? Is it a modification of an existing smooth part or is it an entirely new part? Can a MIM trigger be made with many fine grooves like the old S&W triggers or do they have to be made with coarse grooves? Obviously there isn't much of a demand for grooved triggers these days (that the best revolver shooter the world has seen prefers them doesn't seem to matter in the grand scheme of things) and I still view a wide, grooved trigger as a work of art. If anybody wanted to do it, could one be duplicated with the "new, improved" MIM manufacturing process?

Dave Sinko

Short answer is it is a forged trigger flash chromed. Little bit longer answer is Numrich sells the grooved triggers when in stock for about $48.

One step further-All my revolvers have grooved triggers including my 340PD. Glad I stocked up.

I think the trigger you are looking for is the one I like the best .400 wide serrated.

The hunt begins :D

Dr. Dremel, are you there?

I used a spaced cut off wheel on my Dremel to make some nifty grooves in a smooth trigger. Just to play with it.

I don't know as it makes much difference. It's more a personal thing. If you're not used to using one, having one won't help much of anything. If you're used to using one, it will make you feel better to have it.

Never tried grooving a trigger with the tool. I have always felt the best things in life are very smooth and nicely rounded.

Have I gradiated from Dremel U then?

Surely, oh exalted one, don't tell me I have moved past the master?

Hmmmm! I feel a little "Texture" is good. :rolleyes:

But smooth and nicely rounded works too. :lol:

Never tried grooving a trigger with the tool. I have always felt the best things in life are very smooth and nicely rounded.

Me too. I bought a model 14 target masterpiece with the deeply grooved trigger and the grooves bugged the hell out of me. I wore out four new files trying to smooth them down and barely took the glaze off them. I guess they were on extra caffeine the day the surface hardened that trigger.

I wore out four new files trying to smooth them down and barely took the glaze off them.

The grooves on even the hardest triggers will always give way to a sanding drum spinning at 25,000 RPM!! :D