Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .223 and looking for bullets

cabdmd

I am confused about this .

I am researching info for loading .223 and the bullets I am finding available in 55 gr. are listed as .224. Is this what the diameter is supposed to be?

I have read to find one with a cannelure.

Is there a preference for FMJBT Speer or Hornady?

A cannelure is of no importance, nor will it hurt anything. Some have it, some don't.

The bulk Hornady 55gr FMJBT's are the schiznit for 55gr bullets IMHO. Most folks tend to agree on this.

.224 is the correct diameter for .223 bullets.

I am researching info for loading .223 and the bullets I am finding available in 55 gr. are listed as .224. Is this what the diameter is supposed to be?

I have read to find one with a cannelure.

Is there a preference for FMJBT Speer or Hornady?

What will you be using the ammo for? Cannelures are for crimps, but you do not need to crimp just because of a cannelure. You can also crimp a non-cannelured bullet, or not.

I shoot a match AR and an AR varminter. For the match rifle I cannot get the long range performance I need with a cannelure. For all day blasting of PDs in the varminter, cannelured el-cheapo bullets are fine for close range shots out to around 150 yds or so. I use a bit heavier bullets for the longer shots, without cannelure. Hornady V-Max are great for PDs, and paper punching.

223 bullets are .224 inches in diameter.

More info on the rifle you will be using with twist rate would be helpful in choosing a good bullet for your application.

Thank you all.

I should have included more information about the rifle and purpose.

The barrel is a stainless 16 inch Noveske, 1-7.

My thought is to shoot 3-Gun.

Ammo is not so readily available at reasonable prices. So I am considering reloading .223.

I already load .45 on a 550 and have learned about how much more involved it is to load rifle caliber.

Tell me if I am on track about costs.

I looked into the costs and it appears that per 1000:

Cases (mailed to a service to prep) $25

Bullets $58

Powder $72

Primers $20

Various shipping and hasmat fees $50

Subtotal $225

Dillon 550B dies etc. $200

Total $425

It appears that it would take 2000 rounds to make the investment worthwhile without any time considerations.

• 2 weeks later...

What special prep are you having done to your cases?

It's the same process whether your loading pistol or rifle. Now granted, you might do extra case prep steps if your into sub-moa accuracy for rifle, but then you would be using a single stage press anyways.

It's the same process whether your loading pistol or rifle. Now granted, you might do extra case prep steps if your into sub-moa accuracy for rifle, but then you would be using a single stage press anyways.

I thought that I would send them to a processor for cleaning, trimming and repriming. The availability of this service for ones own brass is limited, and the business I was going to use has inconsistant reports from another board. So I cleaned and polished myself. I learned that there is for now a relatively low amount of cases that are long. The problem now is the crimped primer pockets and how to best address this issue.

This is basic information covered in loading manuals. They list appropriate bullet diameter with loading data.

I thought that I would send them to a processor for cleaning, trimming and repriming. The availability of this service for ones own brass is limited, and the business I was going to use has inconsistant reports from another board. So I cleaned and polished myself. I learned that there is for now a relatively low amount of cases that are long. The problem now is the crimped primer pockets and how to best address this issue.

The best way to deal with crimped primer pockets is to cut them out with a reamer, second best is to use a swagger, just don't over do it or you will get loose primer pockets.

• 1 month later...