Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know this is a goofy question, but

No.343

This happens to me often. I'm home 2 or 3 months in a row during winter and I start taking my shooting seriously, then spring comes and I have to hit the road. This time I don't have access to my pistol for almost 3 months. I just bought Brian Enos' book and both of the Steve Anderson books. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival, and I'm sure I will learn a lot from them, but I'm afraid I'll start a downhill spiral again. At least golf is legal here. Any suggestions?

How about a good airsoft pistol. Depending on your competition gun, you may be able to find a "duplicate" in airsoft. When traveling most places, an airsoft pistol may not cause legal problems.

And you don't need to shoot the BBs, just dry fire the way Steve Anderson has with some of his drills. Leave the hammer down or don't pulll the trigger when you dry fire and take the mags just to the bottom of the magwell on practice reloads.

If you don't want to use the airsoft, you can still do some of the eye exercises found elsewhere on the forum.

Bill

At a worst case scenario, see if you can purchase a "blue gun" version of your competition gun.

DSCN1019.jpg

I used mine for virtually all drills that didn't involve a reload when having my gun wasn't practical/legal.

Do a search on 'airsoft' here and you will get more information. Including some folks who shoot the BBs as well.

I have one and like to spend a few minutes every time I walk by it practicing drawing into a grip and taking the first sight picture. Or transitioning between sight picture and pulling the trigger. Your situation may 'force' you to spend more time on practicing fundamentals in this manner.

Good Luck.

Japan even allows airsoft, so I cannot imagine a place that would not allow you to bring an airsoft.

And there are usually Co2 conversions for them too - so you can buy gas locally.

www.ipsc.org has a forum just for airsoft.

Also, a good friend still uses his glock airsoft for dry fire, though he does not load any pellets- just the air. It allows the glock trigger to reset at least.

I have one and like to spend a few minutes every time I walk "by it "

Good Luck.

Missed the "by it" on the first read, and had this instant vision of someone out for an

evening stroll--geared up and practicing draws on whatever they see with the Airsoft gun.

Probably a good way to meet some of those nice people with the lights on top of their cars.

I have one and like to spend a few minutes every time I walk "by it "

Good Luck.

Missed the "by it" on the first read, and had this instant vision of someone out for an

evening stroll--geared up and practicing draws on whatever they see with the Airsoft gun.

Probably a good way to meet some of those nice people with the lights on top of their cars.

:lol::lol: But it has a red muzzle ! ;)

I went and bought a cheap soft air gun. I was very surprised at how real the grip feels on it. At ten feet it shoots pretty accurately. Now all I need is for the wife to ship me a holster. I hope it fits. Thanks for the tip.

Use this time to train everything but your gun handling.

Get yourself in shape...lose weight if you need to. Work on explosive speed. Train your hand - eye coordination.

You'll be a much better shooter when you get back.

I just received Brian Enos' book and I really like what he had to say about awareness. He hit the nail on the head with me when he discussed concentration. I used to shoot bullseye and I could put a single thought in my head that would carry me through my shooting. I've wondered why I've had such a hard time making the switch to USPSA when I know that I can shoot much more accurately than many, if not most, of the guys I compete with. Now I'm beginning to understand and I'm noticing little things like how my grip changes after I hit the mag release button and the change in the position of my chin between regular draws and surrender draws. It's really kind of amazing. I can't wait to get back from behind enemy lines and see what happens to my performance.

Thanks for the good advice Jake. I've been going to the gym. I'm not exactly sure how to train eye to hand coordination, but I've noticed that with that soft air 1911 that I'm paying more attention to my reloads. At first I was concerned about busting the plastic magazine, since I don't have a replacement; but I figured out that what I'm doing is paying a lot more attention. I noticed that if my index finger is too far away from the front of my magazine I would miss towards the muzzle end of the gun. I know that this sounds small and insignificant, but with the combination of all these "small and insignificant" things I am experiencing a completely new aspect to this port. It's really pretty exciting.

Use this time to train everything but your gun handling.

Get yourself in shape...lose weight if you need to. Work on explosive speed. Train your hand - eye coordination.

You'll be a much better shooter when you get back.