Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid Noob Questions Chapter 3: Where can I compete with my gun?

taxlawmax

Here we go again...

I'm getting an STI Tactical 4.15 in .45. Is that legal for CDP in IDPA? Would I be able to use full 126mm mags, or even 140mm mags? Would I need to modify the baseplates to fit in the box? Would Atlanta Arms loads satisfy the power floor for CDP?

Also, where would my Tac fit in USPSA? And is there a relatively cheap commercial load that'll hit major? I think the Atlanta .45 loads are both minors, if I recall correctly.

Thanks again, everyone!

Here we go again...

I'm getting an STI Tactical 4.15 in .45. Is that legal for CDP in IDPA? Would I be able to use full 126mm mags, or even 140mm mags? Would I need to modify the baseplates to fit in the box? Would Atlanta Arms loads satisfy the power floor for CDP?

Also, where would my Tac fit in USPSA? And is there a relatively cheap commercial load that'll hit major? I think the Atlanta .45 loads are both minors, if I recall correctly.

Thanks again, everyone!

I don't know all that much about IDPA, but I didn't think that it would be legal for CDP then I checked the rules and saw that the bull barrel is fine since it's under 4.2".

For USPSA, you could shoot your gun in Open, Limited or Limited-10. From those, it wouldn't be competitive in Open. In Limited you'd be giving up a lot of magazine capacity to the .40 guns...most of them hold at least 19 rounds in 140mm mags. So, the best fit would be Limited-10 where you won't give up any mag capacity. You will be giving up something with the shorter barrel/sighting radius and increased muzzle flip from that shorter barrel, but I wouldn't let that stop you! Bring 'er out and give it a try :)

Edited by G-ManBart

I'm actually not that worried about being competitive. I'd just like to become proficient with my gun, and improve my skills. So I'd compete in the division that allowed me to use the gun to its fullest capacities, regardless of whether I'll get thrashed even if I get good. :D

I'm actually not that worried about being competitive. I'd just like to become proficient with my gun, and improve my skills. So I'd compete in the division that allowed me to use the gun to its fullest capacities, regardless of whether I'll get thrashed even if I get good. :D

Well, that might mean Limited since you'd get used to shooting full mags rather than only 10 rounds and planning reloads differently. In Lim-10 you'd get extra practice at reloads and you'd think through stages differently, but the shooting part would be the same challenge. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one...maybe try it each way and see what you think.

for IDPA, if your gun weighs less than 41 oz. with a empty 126mm mag, you should be good to go in CDP (43 oz for ESP). You'll have to load the magazine to 8+1 per the CDP rules or you could go the ESP route and load to 10+1 with your 126mm mag. The 140 are a bit too long to fit into the box. I tried :angry:. Now i have a set of IPSC/USPSA mags and a set of IDPA mags....

Great. I think the Tac 4.15 shouldn't hit the weight ceiling for either CDP or ESP.

Would you be able to sneak a 140mm mag into the box with a funny-shaped basepad? I think I saw some on eBay from Australia designed for such a thing.

Great. I think the Tac 4.15 shouldn't hit the weight ceiling for either CDP or ESP.

Would you be able to sneak a 140mm mag into the box with a funny-shaped basepad? I think I saw some on eBay from Australia designed for such a thing.

I think the only ones that fit the IDPA box are the 126mm mags.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update: I do NOT think the Tactical 4.15 can be used in IDPA at all, which is disappointing. The gun I ordered from Brazos has a steel frame with a full-length dustcover, and that is not allowed in CDP or ESP for single-action pistols. Grr.

I'd love to be wrong about this, though, so if I am, post away!

if its a full length dust cover, you're out of luck. i have a partial length dust cover (1/2 inch shorter than full length) which is totally legal. Though I have been called a gamer from the hard core IDPA fanatics. Can't please them all but I'm going according to the rules... :P

This really annoys me, so I'm seriously considering taking 1/16th of an inch off the dust cover. Even though it's already almost exactly the same length as the dust cover on a full size 1911, if I remember correctly. Like I said: Grr.

Edited by taxlawmax

taxlawmax,

IIRC I think (don't quote me on this) STI made a 4.15 inch bull barreled gun with a slightly shorter dust cover. I thought that would have been the hot ticket for ESP/CDP but they dropped it from their lineup. Not enough sales i guess.

Chuck,

Being called a gamer/sandbagger is gonna stick with me for a bit. I just can't seem to get things right on demand. My results are like a rollercoaster ride. Oh well. I just need to shoot more..... :wacko: