Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Ranger 230gr +p(.45acp)

dagz

FWIW, I'd run it in mine. I wouldn't run the same recoil spring as for 165 PF match ammo, though. ;) I've got 18 lb. ISMI springs in both my Gubmint Model and the Commander from Hell, and they work fine with standard velocity (835 fps) 230 grain JHPs.

IF you are running a stock mainspring I would run it without hesitation using a 16 pound recoil spring. If you are running a light mainspring you might need to change some things to shoot this ammo in quantity.

Your gun as delivered will eat many tens of thousands of rounds of this ammo, when you start tweaking it for optimal performance at 170 PF you might want to rethink shooting large quantities of it with the same set up. A couple boxes a year won't ever hurt a thing though even if the gun is set up for 165.1 power factor.

It depends on the gun. I have two stainless 1911 Colts. A 45 Gold Cup and a Delta Elite 10mm.

The GC is soft and 20,000+ of 230 FMJ factory has loosened it quite a bit. Literally(!)everything except the barrel, frame, and slide have been replaced.

The Delta saw a bunch of factroy UMC 180 FMJs @ 1125 fps before I put a Schuemann ramped .40 barrel in it.

The Delta is much harder that the GC. I believe the gun was hardened more because of the cartridge which is known to be harder on guns.

So, if you'e shooting all that +P in a regular 1911 expect things to loosen up and use a 20# recoil spring like I did in the 10mm. Some guns like the Kimbers are allegedly hardened before machining and may be better. The CAST frame guns like the STIs, Charles Daly, others may not take well to the constant +P loads.

If I was to be using a steady diet of +Ps, my choice would be an SV that has all it's parts machined from steel billets (I personally have seen them built) although I think a Les Baer is pretty tough too.