Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Shot Focus

Z-man

I have noticed that at times during my shooting (in practice or in matches) I will pick a spot on a the first target I want to shoot and really focus hard on that spot as I'm waiting for the beep, trying to clear my mind and prepare for what I want to see when the gun comes up. While this focus has always seemed like a good idea, it rarely happens that the first shot out of the holster hits that spot.... I got to thinking about this phenomenon while practicing the other day and it dawned on me. The problem with that intense focus on a spot on the target is that when the gun comes up, I'm still "target focused" and the sights are blurred. That usually means a poor shot especially at greater distances. I caught myself doing that and instead of just focusing on the spot on the target while waiting for the beep, I tried to focus on the sights resting on that spot on the target (changing from a target focus to a sight focus). It's just one of those little things but seems to make a difference for me!

Edited by Z-man

I have noticed that at times during my shooting (in practice or in matches) I will pick a spot on a the first target I want to shoot and really focus hard on that spot as I'm waiting for the beep, trying to clear my mind and prepare for what I want to see when the gun comes up. While this focus has always seemed like a good idea, it rarely happens that the first shot out of the holster hits that spot.... I got to thinking about this phenomenon while practicing the other day and it dawned on me. The problem with that intense focus on a spot on the target is that when the gun comes up, I'm still "target focused" and the sights are blurred. That usually means a poor shot especially at greater distances. I caught myself doing that and instead of just focusing on the spot on the target while waiting for the beep, I tried to focus on the sights resting on that spot on the target (changing from a target focus to a sight focus). It's just one of those little things but seems to make a difference for me!

+1

I'd pick the spot on the target, then visualize a perfect, crisp sight alignment "in the air" right where it would be, then hold that image with 100% of my attention right through the start buzzer until the sights appeared there.

be

Good to know that things are on track then. I've really been enjoying my practices lately as I've been having a lot of little "revelations". I think that comes from trying to be very observent (ala Beyond Fundamentals) while shooting.

As a bi-focal wearer this is always a problem for me so I have tried finding the target with the distance view then moving to near view but not really focusing on the target but where the gun will be when it gets there. The problem gets fuzzy trying to shoot at diagonal partials & half targets at 15-20 yards when the only clear thing is the front sight.