Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm In An S_i

EricW

Eric ! I,ve shot a Colt DE with a bull barrel and full length tungstun guide rod since the mid 90's. It's a bit heavy but easy to control with full power loads. Not the STI style frame but a shooter nun the less. The recent Complete guide to 1911 has a great article on the Novak gun. Would love to have a high cap 10m/m to run Limited with the big boys as it is I'm shooting L-10. Do it I'm sure you won't regret doing so. Have fun! The 135 noslers will scream out of the 10. Timpe

I do have a G21. It's too large for my hands.

I thought that I recalled that, but wasn't sure.

For the record, my belief is that the G20 is all out better than the G21. I don't know how to quantify that and put it into words (without taking up space and getting nowhere). I just trust that it is ...better.

I know that doesn't do you any good, but it may be info that others might use. (you certainly aren't alone with your goals here)

What I'm looking for is a "one gun fits most" solution:

It sure sounds like you are on the right track to me, fwiw.

Right now, I'm switching around between a G19, a Redhawk, and a G21.

I have a hard enough time just going between the regular framed Glocks (G34/35/17) and the large framed (G20). The difference in grip has me pulling the trigger a bit differently....causing issues with windage. Manageable, but not ideal...not automatic.

I'm nearly certain a 10mm (or hot 40) STI would reliably accomplish every task I set forth for it.

It sounds right to me too. I might try to get there in 40 with good brass selection, but there is little doubt that 10mm is a more logical choice for the woods.

Any downside to having two barrels fitted (40 and 10) and just swapping out springs?

I just have so much confidence in it that it makes sense to "play" with what I "practice" with.

I'm a fan 'pick one'. :)

The only real question marks for me were if the grip frame would hold up, and whether there were any mechanical reasons why 10mm might not be the best choice. The real question was STI or Caspian?

I'm a fan of the Caspians. And, you know the pros and cons of the plastics as good as anybody. But, if it a cracking issue that has you held up...I think their might be some validity to the idea (mentioned earlier) that the cracks might be coming from the mags being over-stuffed. ?

You can't over-stuff a Caspian mag...cause you can't get one to stuff in the first place. :o

I have a unique exp w / 10mm in STI.

First, down South you can run whatever weird cartridge you want, because you get all your brass back and you only have what you brought. So, 40 is no cheaper than 10. I have seen several 10mm "Standard" guns down South.

Obviously for same pf they feel identical, but you alredy knew that.

As for the unique part. That same magazine referenced above, "Custom Combat..." there's one with an article about a guy who gets Richard Heinie to build him a short dc 10mm STI, ser # RDH 10. I have shot that gun and competed against it numerous times. It's down South. After too many mag issues (as ref'd above, older tubes and long oal) they rebarrelled it to a .40 and sold it to a buddy of a buddy.

Lastly, and just my $.02 but with the CNC machining and good steel used, I'd be real surprised if an STI in 10mm "HE" didn't last at least as long as a glock or delta.