Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPTIMA/FIREPOINT

Jody Waring

Hello everyone. Has anyone heard anything in regards to the possibility of re-introduction of this sight? JP Enterprises markets one called the J-Point, but I have no idea if this is something of older production, just with a different name or what. I have heard several times that they will be introduced again, but nothing concrete. The Firepoint sopposively was built in England, the DR. Sight made in Germany and so on. I believe there is another claimed to be from the Czech Republic. I have been searching for info to no avail. Anyone out there got any news? I am interested in putting one on my P9 Open gun, if there's any future for the sight. Anyone out there care to share with me their 2 cents on using this sight for IPSC?

The optimas were to be coming back but nobody really had anything concrete. JP has the Jpoint which is basically the optima with some supposed improvements. The Docter seems to be the best option if you get the 3rd generation. The 3.5 moa have a ribbon wire and the new 7moa have the same wiring. The old 7moa's had two black wires and were prone to failure. The Docter is metal and glass as opposed to plastic.

Perhaps I can muddy the water..Have recently asked at

Fire point about wether or not they are producing the J-point and was told that they were not..They are not making anything,so they say..EABCO who sells the J-point says that it is made by the same people that made the Optima,that would be Fire Point...The J=Point sight has no marking of country of origin but look like the Optima..Brownells is listing the Fire Point on their web site and the maker says they must be some that they have had for quite some time..

JP enterprises who is the importer,seller,Of the J-Point

has nothing on their web site..

For some reason their seems to be a lot of nothing to be learned about these sights..The mounts,at least the one I have seen, are like some made in this country by Weigand,a one piece platform made of aluminum..

By the way Midway is also selling the J-Point..

Why is JP not selling it themselves ??

I hope this is of some help to you ,to me it is clear as mud..

Thanks guys!

I have been researching a bit, and couldn't really find anything that says that these sights are being produced, rather that they may be re-introduced in an updated version, Have you guys used any of the variations of this sight?

Bompa,

I was looking last night at the Midway website and they are listed for $199, cheaper than JP Ent. has them for $239

I had tried a gun with this sight and liked how it tracked. you would think you would see it moving with the slide, but all I noticed was the typical "bounce" of a red dot. I liked how the sight is mounted low and I would think that being mounted directly to the slide would be more accurate as you would not lose any accuracy if your slide to frame is a little loose. Good luck with the sight, and keep us up to date on how it works.

Jody,

I have a couple of Optimas on some 1911's and am well pleased with them..Want to put one on a CZ75b that is my current favorite,waiting for mount..

Must say that I am not shooting hot loads in anything so that might not stress the sight as a major load would.

Did I say I like the concept of this type of sight .. Feels so much better than a tube sight..And these old eyes need all the help they can get..

Bompa, look up Precision assemblies, they build a real neat mount for the CZ. they have one that mounts in the dovetail, and another that mounts on the frame. They both look good. I believe they retail for around $40. I think the address is<www.precisionassemblies.com> I may use their frame mount if I can ever make up my mind.  Its good to hear you like the sight. I want to talk to people before I make the change. I'm still using a shortened PDP3!

Jody,,I have looked at that mount and at the time it just didn't do anything for me..What I wanted was one of the original FP mounts that sat on the slide and looked like it belonged there,fit the conture of the slide..What I have seen elsewere so far are one piece mounts that are a shelf above the slide..Waiting for a JP mount hoping it will be what I want..Really don't want to drill holes in frame...

My frame is already drilled for its current mount and I'd rarther not drill more multiple holes. Mounting directly to the slide may be my option. The rear portion of the slide is machined flat for my cocking handle, which i think my be long enough for the Optima. I need roughly 1.6" right? I would have to measure it. I think the slide cut should be adequate. Arrendondo too builds the type of mount for the slide, haven't seen one up close just in editorials.

Hopefully this will help to muddy the water some more.

I recently purchased a J-Point from JP Enterprises (June, 2002). It had documentation printed by JP Enterprises which referred to the sight as a J-Point. The actual sight was an Optima 2000 with the Tasco Logo on it and the cover.

BTW, I paid $199.00 at that time.

I am waiting for JP to finish a Glock 17L right now. I am having a J-Point melted into the slide (along with a lot of other things). I will let you all know what kind of sight I actually get when it arrives (3-4 weeks from now I am told).

Regards,

I purchased a J-Point from Midway middle of oct. and it is bare of any markings..No name or where it is made..

Talked to sombody at JP yesterday and he could not tell me anything about the sight..Thought it was made in Japan by the same people made the Optima..The Optima was made in the UK..Big dark secret..

I believe that the DR Sight was built in Germany and another firpoint model built in Czech Rep. A buddy of mine told me he saw something on an autralian websight that stated a version will be produced by Bushnell, but no other info than that. I'll get back to him and find out where this info came from.

Well I recieved a mount ,for CZ,from JP..I was not impressed with what I recieved..It was a single piece mount as made by Weigand,but not his work,that had issues..The dovetail fit in the slide was so loose that I had to use .004 shims to make it a friction fit..The set screw to hold it in place was missing and to cap it all off the threaded holes to screw the sight down on the base were not the same size as the screws that were furnished with the sight.. I will be sending it back..

Got to check The P A mount out again as there are no other options that I know of..

Bompa,

sorry to hear your problems:( I would contact JP of your situation, and return it. When you get a part, hopfully it will be oversized, if anything which will allow you to fit it a bit. Not all pieces are manufactured to the same tolerances, but in a situation such as this oversized for fitting would have been better. We are talking the installation of a sight, so we need  to be fussy......don't we? I would look at the Precision Assemblies dovetail mount, maybe even contact them. They emailed me this week telling me they have the sight/mount combo on for I think it was $245, and guess where the sight came from? That's right JP. I wish someone would leak it out on whats up with these sights, are they being produced or what? or is JP in possession of some old stock making us think they are still out there?

Well I got the P A mount for the CZ and mounted the new J-Point sight.. Tried to sight it in today and could not move point of impact at all..To make matters worse the light started to

go off after a shot and come back in a couple of moments..Don't know what to think,never had this problem with an Optima.. Is it possible the mount is at falt or both items ??

• 2 weeks later...

We stir the mix a bit..

Just recieved a note from Firepoint about the J-Point and thought someone would be interested..Firepoint is not producing a sight at this time..It is their opinoin that when Tasco died they had a bunch of obsolete or defective units..It is these units that are rebranded and sold as new units..

As much as I hate to admit it this just might be true as I have had to return one J-Point because it didn't work..Got a replacement today and will check it out tomorrow..Will post here the results..

If anyone wants the complete reply from Firepoint I will send it to them upon recieving your e-mail address..

PacMan that sight is was a standard Firepoint made in UK and their mount.. CZ usa had a few made up with the sight to get rid of the sights,my opinion,that were in stock and not selling as parts..

Could be wrong about that but wanted one but they were not to be sold in Mass...

For what it's worth I have 4, yes 4 Tasco Optima's that are all collecting dust on my shelf. They all started out fine but all lost zero, or the point of impact started to shift. Now I'm stuck with junk. I've looked at the Docter sight and quality wise it's head and shoulders above the Optima. Only problem is the mounts. Docteropticsusa.com has a site but it's not complete. Anybody have any sources for Docter mounts?  Yeah, I know what your thinking why have 4 Optimas, if the first didn't work why buy more. The first two did work, for a while. And yes I am stupid.