Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 Lot Change

Chuck Merriam

I just chronoed some loads that should have been at least near major and they were 100FPS slow. I will rechrono but was wondering if changing to a new lot of N320 would be that much slower. I put 5.0gn of n320 behind a Precision 180gn at 1.190" OAL. This load should be a good 170PF and have been in the past. And I know my old load of 1.200" and 5.1gn N320 with a MG 180JHP was 170PF in a slow Bar Sto Barrel. Maybe the battery was dieing...I hope. I have a hard time accepting I need 5.4gn at that length to make major!

......I put 5.0gn of n320 behind a Precision 180gn at 1.190" OAL. This load should be a good 170PF and have been in the past.....

Are these Precision or Precision Deltas? Precisions only come in 185gn I believe. Are your velocities actually slower or just your PF lower? I'm sure this is too simple to be the problem; but just putting that out there.

I'm down to 17# of N320. I have used it since 1996. I haven't noticed that much variation in all those years and numerous lots of that powder. One of the reasons I like N320 so well was the lack of variation...?

I use 5.0 under a 180 FMJ @ 1.160" for around 950 fps/171 pf

Precision Deltas....Cheap Green Master Chrony (a friends)....I just bought a Competition Electronics Pro Digital for my own. The Precision Moly 185's are on the way. I just have a hrd time thinking this bullet is that much slower but this friends Chrony has always been dead on. Oh well....I'll let you know after I chrono tommorrow!

+1 to Mick's comments. I've never had an N320 load with the same bullet/OAL/primer/case vary by more than a tenth to get the same PF and I've had maybe six or seven large lots used now.

I once got my std Limited load to chrono consistently at 1220 fps. The angle of the sun was messing with the sensors on my Pact. Normal readings on the same ammo with the same chrono later that same day.

Well I have yet to rechrono but I am glad to see I am maybe not losing my mind. If it is the chrono it will be my first bad run in with one.

However my powder safety return bar was backing off last year just before Area 6........get to the chrono......165.0...gulp!

OK so his chrono was not off! I used my new Competition Electronics Pro and got the same thing. I guess I will have to bump it up a couple tenths. I got to looking at why these Precision Deltas were slower and decided to mic a few of them and some Montana Golds..............Deltas .3995....Montanas .397 to .398 :huh: Now I know why!