Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My bifocals are driving me crazy!

JR

My glasses force me to stand erect and tilt my head back in order to focus properly on my front sight.  I can tolerate this when bulls-eye shooting, but not action.

Obviously I could obtain some dedicated glasses that would have the far/near focus transition placed much higher on the lenses, but I was thinking of something more radical - a vertical strip of near focus down the middle with far focus on either side.  That way I could bring the front sight into clear view no matter how my head was tilted.

Suggestions anyone?

You might want to check out Bud Decot's wesbsite.  Decot has been making glasses for shooters and other sportmen for years, and has plenty of experience with exactly what you are talking about.  I don't have the site address, but a search for Decot Glasses should find it.

I think I have seen/read before about "reverse bifocals."  In this situation, the "near" portions are actually on the top part of the lense and the "far" sections are on the bottom.  This eliminates having to cock your head back to see the sites.

Wayne

Right after I posted, I noticed that an extensive dialogue had already taken place on this issue in the Shooting Techniques Forum.

Thanks to all, I've now got some ideas to take with me to the eye doc.  Wayne: will do the search for Decot.

See if you can find an optomiterist in your area that served in the military as an optomiterist.  Mine regular guy was Navy and actually got a lot of experience doing prescription lenses for the Navy pistol and rifle teams.  He had a lot of good suggestions for me to think about.

Tightloop:  Last time I had glasses changed, was told I had some astigmatism and therefore wasn't a good candidate for bifocal contacts.  This was approx 6 yrs ago and technology may have improved since then.  Will ask the Doc.