Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unclassified

JThompson

First ever IPSC... 14th out of 29... You guys gave me the skills to put on a holster, for the first time, and shoot a c/b round first go. I will type more after I get the grin off my face and sober up. :)

In the mean time... thanks to all of you that share how and why with anyone willing to read. Special thanks to Xre and Flex for the years of data I read before I ever strapped up. Also, to Brain who answered all my silly realoding questions and kept me from losing a digit or two reloading.

I ran this at 60% for safety. My main thoughts were, don't sweep your hand when going through the door... don't pop the safety until you are pointed down range, and is my finger off the trigger as I run? All the stuff a first time holster shooter should be thinking about. You guys/gals saved me countless hours, with your selfless impart of knowledge. There are very few sports in which, “secrets’” or performance enhancements, are given so freely. I’ve raced cars for years and not once did a competitor ever walk up to me and say, “If you dropped that track-bar you would get better grip off the corner” In this forum you share,not only how, but why… you are the best... thanks to all for taking the time.

Best,

Jim

Edited by JThompson

+100

Welcome to the sport Jim. I am fairly new myself, just started my second season. I can tell you that the grin never leaves. If it does, you are doing something wrong.

This forum is one of the most unique competitive sports environments to ever assemble. In every other sport techniques and strategies are guarded in shrouds of secrecy, as if they were the Ark of the Covenant, and if they were shared amongst each other all of our faces will melt off.

I can understand that all other sports are also HUGE businesses with billions of dollars at stake. We don't play at that level from a financial standpoint, but the desire to excel is not less by one iota.

Congrats on the finish..

Last years was my first year shooting USPSA, I was surprised at how helpful everyone was.

Tomorrow I am going to a class taught by the local fast guys, the class is free and it will be about stage analysis and the tips and tricks on how to shoot the stages faster. Its great to see these guys actively helping other shooters that could potentially knock them off the top spot.

I think everyone feels that if you make other shooters better, that will in return make you a better shooter as the competition will raise the bar

+100

Welcome to the sport Jim. I am fairly new myself, just started my second season. I can tell you that the grin never leaves. If it does, you are doing something wrong.

This forum is one of the most unique competitive sports environments to ever assemble. In every other sport techniques and strategies are guarded in shrouds of secrecy, as if they were the Ark of the Covenant, and if they were shared amongst each other all of our faces will melt off.

I can understand that all other sports are also HUGE businesses with billions of dollars at stake. We don't play at that level from a financial standpoint, but the desire to excel is not less by one iota.

Thanks for the welcome. :) You're right, this forum is a wonder... it's like me being able to jump online and ask Dale jr how to run a track. I know of no other sport where the best of the best share there knowledge so freely.

Oh ya, I did catch your "Raiders" reference. :P

How far have you come in a year?

Best,

Jim

Congrats on the finish..

Last years was my first year shooting USPSA, I was surprised at how helpful everyone was.

Tomorrow I am going to a class taught by the local fast guys, the class is free and it will be about stage analysis and the tips and tricks on how to shoot the stages faster. Its great to see these guys actively helping other shooters that could potentially knock them off the top spot.

I think everyone feels that if you make other shooters better, that will in return make you a better shooter as the competition will raise the bar

See... that's what I'm talking about… to have someone with advanced skills willing to show others how to improve their shooting, without monetary gain, is awesome!

Some of the things I found, most helpful were the screw-ups. People are willing to share their mistakes as well as their triumphs. I think sharing of how you screw-up can be just as important, if not more, than what you did right. I learned a great deal about safety by reading how things when wrong and then reading all the responses on why and how to prevent it.

One thing I found here that really helped me was shooting a third. I’m shooting a dot and it’s easy to call your shot. I rushed a few breaks and knew I had blown the shot. I just settled and took another. A Mike, or a .5 sec for the extra shot? I’ll take the .5 thank you.

That’s the kind of stuff you need to know, but don’t, or I didn’t before I read it here somewhere.

I knew you'd like it B)

I like it just fine, but that zeroing that damn sideways dot is like trying to draw a circle with an "Etch a Sketch." P With the dot so close to the slide I had zero trouble picking it up. Another unintended advantage is table starts. When you lay the gun down it's canted and you have no problem grasping it. ;)

How did it run? 80 rounds no ftf, fte. :) The VV 3n37 is a little dirty, but the accuracy of the 115 Zero JHP over the 7.7gr is a sight. From the bench I shot a 1 group from 25 yards. It would probably do better if my eyes weren't so old. :) OAL is 1.250. I have yet to Chrono it, so I'm not sure of the PF. :(

Edited by JThompson