Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To 9mm/38

trodrig

I've been loading rifle, shotgun, 44mag and 45 ACP for several years now. I hope to buy a 38 SC open gun in the not too distant future and was just wondering what I need to be prepared for in loading for this round. I'll be loading on a Dillon 650 which is currently set up for 45 but I'll convert for 38SC. Initially I'll be wanting to develop a minor PF load for steel. Please let me know if there are any general things I need to be aware of. Here's a few specific questions that have been rolling around in my head:

Been reading the forum and it sounds like you're not supposed to use any kind of polymer coated or even copper plated bullets in a gun with a compensator. Is this true? If so, why?

Is Longshot a good powder to use for minor loads in 38 SC?

What brand of brass do you like the best for 38 SC? Starline?

What brand of primer do you like? Do you use small pistol or small rifle for minor loads?

Thanks!

Trodrig

trodrig,

What bullet weight are you thinking of running?

I've never played with Longshot, but it is in the same neighborhood as the Viht powders I have run for minor loads with 115gr JHP.

I've run, I think all of the different cartridges for SC, but currently I utilize Armscor.

Primers - everything on my bench is Federal and I use small pistol for minor loads. I did a bunch of testing years ago with small pistol, rifle, and benchrest primers and there was no noticeable difference in velocity. Even with major loads, the small pistol primers are igniting all of the powder. I use rifle primers on major loads just for the harder cup.

Kenny

(My Tru-Sight finally arrived so It's time to create a new minor load in 38) :)

So, would it be best for me to slug the barrel to find out if I need to use .355, .356, or .357 inch diameter bullets?

Is it in fact a no-no to use moly coated bullets, like those from Bear Creek or Master Blaster, in a comp'ed gun?

Thanks all!

Trodrig

I like starline brass & TJ I use a 95 gr zero bullet and get next to zero back splater from the bullet off the steel. it is size 3.56 I like the Hog Universal powder at 6.5 gr

or 7.5 of IMR 7625 = Look me up Sunday if you want to try my gun or the load after the match .

JF

But I may not know nothing.

Look me up Sunday if you want to try my gun or the load after the match .

Thanks for the offer! I'd really appreciate that! I guess we'll have to see if it be canceled if we get alot of rain tonight though.... :(

trodrig

I use a compensated gun and like Zero 125 gr JHP with Starline and PMC brass, Winchester SRP (all loads Major). There seems to be a wait for the 125 gr JHP right now. Down to 1500 bullets so I better get on the waiting list.

Bill

I agree completely. 3N37 is my powder.