Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team Weight

The older generation Gold Teams, we're talking probably 2003 and older came with short dustcover. At some point, they decided to only sell the long dustcover. I've never been a super fan of that extra weight out there and I've actually done a lot of testing. First of all, I think it's great they come with a long dustcover. It means you can easily cut it off if you don't like, but have it if you do. Some people just love it.

I've shot my 2006 and older models with everything from long, to custom mid-length to short. I had a couple of guns cut different ways just to see how they felt. And I would shoot them in major matches since this is the venue I typically learn.

Of all my testing, it just seemed that the short dustcover frames would return my sights to target quicker and with less drama than the heavier weights. Now, believe me, these are very subtle differences and you need to spend some time with both versions to notice the difference. The problem with all this testing is that we have beliefs that make us blind to what's happening and sometimes too easily accept long vs short etc mostly because of someone else's claim. For me, the way I shoot and with my loads, I like the lighter frame and will probably continue to cut them.

The 2007 model already has a .400" shorter frame (and slide). That might change things a bit. and I'm not going to cut my 2007 once it comes in and I get a chance to compare.

The first person that I can remember who embraced the long dustcover was US AMU Jay Christy who shot a STI long dustcover 38 super back in '98 or maybe even earlier. He totally loved it. Tanfoglio followed suit and had their long dustcover Gold Team version for the '99 World Shoot. For a while you could still order both versions.

I never weigh my guns so I have no clue what the weight difference is. I do know I like the shorter over full dustcover and it's an easy job for a gunsmith. Though, note it'll void your EAA Limited Lifetime Warranty if you do.

First of all, I'm not the orig. owner so I'm not sure the warranty is still in force.

Second, my other guns are all STI open guns that range from 5 in, ports and no ports to a Dawson Mini-gun Stroker ( which is short slide & barrel but increased slide travel ) so I don't know how I would like the Gold Team lighter. Of course it is hard to put the dust cover back on after it gets milled off.

I guess I'll shoot it as it is until I can gather up enough pennies for a 2007 GT.

Thanks for the info,

Huston

Of course it is hard to put the dust cover back on after it gets milled off

He he... yeah, tricky minor detail...

I think the 2007 will be a neat setup as is and maybe at some point I'll be brave enough to chop one up... just to see. worst case it could always turn into a steel gun.

I think the 2007 will be a neat setup as is and maybe at some point I'll be brave enough to chop one up... just to see. worst case it could always turn into a steel gun.

hi henning,

any idea if a 170mm in 38super will be made or available? if so how much?

I've seen the new 38 super mags which look great (ipsc box length). Based on what I've heard the 170mm will be built on the same design. If so, expect 28 or 29 round capacity after I've had my hands on them..

• 1 month later...

Do you have received your 2007 model ? I would be very interested by your experience before ordering mine.

No not yet, I know they got some in 40 and 45 in stock that's about it. Supposedly getting mine end of the month / beginning of June. Can't wait ;-)

Ok, i will wait your review of the pistol...here (in France) the 2007 will be also availiable in june...

I have to decide betwwen the old model with long or short dust cover and the new one....

Another question : what do you think about the reliability and resistance of this pistol compare to STI counterpart ?

What is the price of this beauty in USA ?

Edited by chris223

Hi Chris,

It sucks we all have to wait, but we're waiting for something good so.. :D

I'm highly biased so I'm probably not the person to compare STI to Tanfoglio, you know? If you take the Elite Limited I think it's a fantastic pistol and will last you a long time. I haven't seen any particualr signs of wear on mine. No cracks, breaks, nothing. I do check my extractor every now and then and probably change it out at 10,000 if it looks like it's worn. The three wear parts on the guns in a factory setups are: extractor, sear and slidestop. Magazine springs of course. To upgrade the gun I use EGW slide stop, sear and we will soon have EGW hammers to match which will be a fantastic trigger setup. I redo my EGW sears every 3 years or so. Because they are light triggers they will need to be restoned every so often. Barrels are good, shoot great (polygonal barrels will shoot cheap bullets fantastically). Never cracked a slide or had to change out any barrels on them.

The Gold Team 38 super (2006 and previous models is all I can talk about) is basically the same. With the slower powders and porting there is a little more stress than the 40. I think on these older models the heavy 3 port comp may be a bit heavy. If you're planning on shooting a lot, like 20 - 30,000 rounds a year it's worth sending your gun to a gunsmith like EGW (or a good gunsmith for you in France) that knows the Tanfoglio pistols. Have him look over how the barrel is fitted, probably put an EGW hard slide stop in it, do a trigger job etc. I'm making an aftermarket titanium compensator for the 38 super. I think the lighter weight is going to be better for older models. However, the 2007 model has a shorter slide and a much lighter comp which I think is a good thing and may not benefit anything from a titanium comp. I do like the 3-ports, but I don't like the weight that comes with it.

I don't want to say anything about STI, better ask someone who has one.

As far as reliability it's 100% if you pay attention to the ammunition you are shooting. I can pick up a brand new gun out of the box, put a scope mount on it and just shoot. No adjustment of the extractor, ejector to get the spent cases out. Rimless 38 is the way to go, forget about regular 38 rimmed cases. Rimless will feed like a champ in factory magazines. If you want more capacity, put some Grams spring/followers in them and you can get 24 + 1 in your 140mm 38 super mags.

I'm also getting 170mm 38 super mags this week and I'll report back how they'll work with the long Grams springs. Factory they are 25 rounds which is pathetic. With a new spring/follower they should easily make 28, maybe 29 rounds + 1. If I made a longer pad I know that would be the case and I have some older Mec-Gar mags I made in 1995 that holds 28 + 1.

C-More Slideride, Alex' double-sided scope mount and you're ready to rock!

Edited by sinnsyk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...