Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sight picture

I've noticed I'm seeing less and less of the ideal iron sight picture. I learned a while ago to trade sight picture quality for speed, appropriate to the target difficulty, but I hardly ever have a high-quality, focused-on-front-sight picture anymore. Yet the bullets are still going into the A zones, for the most part.

I don't know if my index is taking care of it or what, but I've just noticed it.

Erik,

some time ago TT described his focus being between target and front sight. I realised after reading it that that is how I shoot most of my shots too,  though my A zone plate at 50 punishes that technique

P.D.

What I have found is that once you reach a certain level of proficiency you tend not to remember as much because it is just happening, although you are still seeing, albeit, subconciously.  I hardly ever remember a reload, although when I was "HORRIBLE" at reloading I use to see every scratch on my mag well.  Why, because thats what I HAD to see.  See only what you need to see.

I've noticed, as well, over the years, that I see less and less of the "perfect" sight picture. I feel it's due to the development of the index. Especially with the typically easier targets encountered in today's courses of fire, if you just manage to pause the gun at the target, you can hit most anything you look at.

be