Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Club/uspsa Memberships

Rob Bartley

I want to start shooting competatively this season. I have not yet become a member of a shooting club yet; I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot in my back yard. My question is this. Do I need to be a member at the local club level for each shoot and USPSA to compete? How does this normally work?

At my club, we have shooters who come out regularly and shoot all the matches. They don't belong to the club or USPSA. They are out to shoot and have fun. If you are thinking that you want to compete then I would join USPSA that way you can get classified and try to work your way up the classification ladder.

You do not have to join USPSA, if you do your classifier scores will be tracked by USPSA and you will then be classified in whatever divisions you shoot (ie GM, M, A, B, C etc.). You will also get Frontsight magazine, and will be supporting a great organization (IMO). You DO need to join to shoot any level II or higher match (ie state, area, or national match).

Your local USPSA club doesn't require you to join either, but joining will get you a lower match fee by a few bucks usually, and you'll be supporting the sport just like if you join USPSA. (they may have other perks as well, depends on the club)

My suggestion is go shoot a few matches, if you find the sport suits you then join both, if you don't like it and stop shooting matches then don't join.

Edited by rtr

Dependingupon where you plan on shooting there are several options available to you.

First, you do not need to be a member of either USPSA or (generally) the local club to shoot a USPSA match.

However... You should be a member of both. It helps to support your local club even if you are lucky enough to be able to shoot in your backyard. It is the clubs that are generally aware of and fighting on our behalf.

As to USPSA, if you join, you get a couple benefits. You get Front Sight Magazine, chock full of good information and news about the sport. You also get your classiifers counted towards classification. You must be a member to shoot above the club level.

Now, if you just happen to be in the Mid Atlantic Section of Area 8, you get to shoot your first match for free if you join USPSA at the match.

I don't know the fee structure where you are, but here it is $25 for a non-USPSA member, $20 for a USPSA member and the local club has the option to discount the member fee. If you join at the match, you pay the $40 annual fee, but no match fee, a savings of $15 over the non-member Match fee.

Hope this helps.

And to the other clubs, this is one way to help build membership. It is a minor cost to the host organization, but can be a real boost to USPSA and your club recruitment of new members.

Jim Norman

Welcome to the sport.

The Eastern Lakes Section, is the group of clubs closest to you. Webpage is here;

http://www.uspsa7.org/els/

There used to be a rule that competitors residing the section, be a member of one of the clubs. It was seldom enforced, and appears to no longer be found in the latest edition of the section by-laws.

Check with the clubs where you want to shoot. I'm sure they will be glad to have you.