Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ro Recert

LPatterson

Jane,

It is a guy thing never read instructions until all else fails including asking your buddys.

Not only have I been married twice, but I presently write software for scoring IDPA matches. My beautifully-indexed manual is about 400 pages long. I also have step-by-step tutorials.

From the places that guys get stuck would I infer that I've been "slaving over a hot stove" in vain with all that documentation??? :o Well, let's just say I'm presently working on some instructional videos. But you gave me an idea... maybe a few nekkid lady pictures would entice guys to watch the videos? (Nah... they'd figure out how to Fast Forward..) :rolleyes:

Just a point of clarification. The people who grade your recertification exams at USPSA HQ use the key they are provided. I revised the test to make the questions a little simpler and more straightforward, but in the process revised the answers a little too simply as well. Those test questions have been fixed, and the newly revised level one recert test will go out in the next quarterly round of mailings. It is possible to overthink the questions.

Thanks to Jane for pointing out one of the problem questions.

Troy

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a dedicated RO for a stage, you and the other ROs at that stage should decide on uniform treatment of shooters on that stage: either remind every shooter that does not go to the most effective ready condition, or silently let every shooter LOMR without any hints as long as they are safe. With roving ROs, the MD should probably brief all ROs on safety issues first, but then also on consistency and fairness.

• 2 months later...

OK, next question from the re-cert test:

"Can competitors inspect a course of fire "out of turn", i.e. when they are not in the next scheduled squad?"

I know it is poor etiquette to do so.

6.6.1 specifies competitors must follow the match and squadding schedule...if it says anything about walk-thru, then it could apply.

US8.7.5 says "no person is permitted to enter or move through a course of fire without prior approval of a RO or RM".

Under that rule, a competitor could inspect out of turn, IF the RO gave permission.

So is "If permitted by the RO or RM", "US8.7.5" the answer, or is there a rule which specifically addresses this situation (I haven't been able to find it if there is)

Thanks for your help,

DogmaDog

My answer was: "NO - unless allowed by the RO or RM" - "US8.7.5"

I know it is poor etiquette to do so.

Only if the next squad is there waiting or doing their walk through. I don't see it being a problem (etiquette or otherwise) if there's nobody there except for the ROs. Just kindly ask the ROs and, generally, you'd be allowed to look at the stage.