Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Set Up 550b With Rcbs Dies

Zombie

I just inherited a 550b reloading press, And I want to set up to reload ruger480 , I have rcbs 3 die set, Deprimer die, expander die, and seating/crimmping die, for the 480, but dont know how to set up on dillions 550b not sure if or where i put the expanding die. So on the press it goes first station is depriming, second is powder fill, but not sure what to do with 3rd and 4th stations do i leave one empty and just use the seatting/crimmping die and not the expanding die? Do I need the expanding die and if so what station does it go in?

Any help would be great thanks

Thanks for the reply I have read the manual and understand it and I have the 550 set up for 45cal and reloded them with dillions die set with no problems but dillion does not make a die set for the 480 that is why i have an RCBS set, but the RCBS set does not come with a seperate seating and crimping die like the 45 has. It has 3 dies, decapping, seating/crimping, and a expander die. I am just not sure if I use the expander die yhats my problem?

Dillon lists a Caliber Conversion for the .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger. That comes with the correct powder die to bell the case mouth.

You can crimp with the RCBS Seat/Crimp die but I wouldn't.

Buy a separate .480 Crimp die and put it in Station 4 on the 550.

Set the Seating die to only seat and crimp separately. You'll make better ammunition and that's what Freedom Arms and John Linebaugh recommend.

I have used RCBS, Dilon, Lee, Hornady and Lyman dies in my Dillon 550. In all cases I purchase an additional die so that the seating and crimping are separate operations. You always increase the possibility of problems trting to seat and crimp in one operation