Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Take up in 1911 trigger

Mickster

I took out the el cheapo hammer and put in a brand new SS Ed Brown hammer. When I pulled the trigger the hammer would not fall. To fix, I screwed out the trigger stop screw a half turn or so.

The hammer falls now. But the trigger had more slack than I liked in it before, and now is too much.

Is there any easy way a home gun tinkerer like me can take out some of this trigger take up?

I bought a McCormick trigger that was adjustable for both take up and over travel to solve a similar problem.  It took a bit of monkeying with the takeup adjustment to get it right, which you don't know for sure untill you put the gun back together, but it really came out nice in the end.  It was a good deal too at $15 or so from Brownell's.

-ld

-ld

I could be missing something, but the screw you are describing, is it the overtravel screw? if so that would account for allowing the hammer to fall when backed out, but not for excess takeup problem. It contacts mag release to stop rearward movement of trigger. It is possible to modify stock trigger bow, but a better solution would be to install a trigger with adjustment built in ( reliability thing ) just my .02. Brownells is virtual one stop shopping for 1911 needs.             Travis F.

Tuner,

I'm talking about the slack I have to take up before the trigger touches the sear. Once contact is made it breaks cleanly. With the new hammer I have more slack than before, which was already more than I wanted.

Dlask also makes some nice triggers adjustable for takeup.  They have small tabs on the bow near the trigger that can be bent forward to press against the frame.  They keep the trigger from going forward as far as it normally would, thus reducing takeup.

Well, a new trigger will certainly work. But if you're cheap like me, put a small vertical cut in the front of the trigger bow (right behind the attaching point of the trigger pad) and bend the cut piece away from the sear, toward the front of the gun. This piece is now your take-up adjuster.

Of course, if you cut too deep you'll weaken the trigger, so keep your wits about you.

Larry

Take a look (brownell's web site would be a good spot) at a trigger with a 'take up adjuster' and you'll see it's nothing more than a vertical cut in the forward part of the trigger bow.

If your trigger lacks this, use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel and make a small (go slow-smaller can get bigger, but bigger CAN'T get smaller) cut into the bow of the trigger. Bend the cut piece out a very small amount. This now prevents the trigger from going as far forward into the trigger track as it did before, and will eliminate the take-up, if done right.

Keep in mind that SOME take-up is necessary, so it's better to start small here, too. Test the gun with only two rounds in it, to ensure that it doesn't 'double' when you fire it.

If you're still not sure how to do this, that might be a clue that a)I'm a terrible explainer and/or b)it's time to see a gunsmith.

HTH,

Larry

Thanks DT Guy. I didn't get it until I looked at a pic of one in the Brownels book. Sounds better than making a tab at the back of the bow where it contacts the sear which was one way I was told about by a gunsmith.

I'll be cutting and bending on it this weekend. Thanks again.