Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Puyallup,wa--load Variation To Expect

thunderstick

I am located in Boise, ID (elevation about 2200 feet) and I am shooting Clays powder. I am trying to get a feel for what to expect out of my loads when I go up to Puyallup, WA in August for Area 1. Are my rounds going to slow up? If so what are others seeing? Just trying I make sure I don't show up and my loads are way slow or way hotter than anticipated. Thanks in advance.

I am located in Boise, ID (elevation about 2200 feet) and I am shooting Clays powder. I am trying to get a feel for what to expect out of my loads when I go up to Puyallup, WA in August for Area 1. Are my rounds going to slow up? If so what are others seeing? Just trying I make sure I don't show up and my loads are way slow or way hotter than anticipated. Thanks in advance.

I'd be more worried about your bullets going straight at Paul Bunyon range than the velocity. When I shoot there, I get a lot of C's and D's. yrmv

Not knowing what you are shooting and never having chronyed in Boise, I can tell you that I shoot 4.1 Clays out of a 5" SW 625 with moly coated bullets and make it with plenty of room to spare.

I have shot in Reno and Bend Oregon and the differerence in chronograph was negligible.

Hope that helps

Now I'm going to try figure that straight bullet thing. I think I'll start with a mirror

There was an article a couple years ago (maybe less) in Front Site that addressed the affects of altitude (or more specifically air density) and velocity. As I recall, the author found there was very little difference (holding all other variables constant). I'm guessing you might see maybe 10fps at best going from 2200 to sea level. If you'd like, I can find the article and let you know what the answer is.

I saw no diff between 2500' and Portland for A1 last year (near but not quite at sea level). Didn't see much diff between here and Missoula either for that matter.

In fact, according to my match notes from 2005 (Missoula) and 2006 (Portland) A1 I had a 1.4 PF variance. Essentially the same load between the two years but different lots of powder, bullets, primers and changed from brass to nickel plated. Missoula was the higher PF.

Just don't load too close to the threshold and you will be fine.

Steve,

Did you have any change in velocity at Missoula? If so invert the difference.

If there was...it wasn't enough for me to notice.

I'll see if I can find that issue of Front Sight tonight and let you know.