Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Adj - Witness Match

lmlong

On my Witness Match the instructions that came with it show an adjustment for pre-travel and over-travel. (relatively new to handguns my terminology may be incorrect) I have been able to adjust the over-travel screw but the pre-travel seems to be sealed. Is this correct or am I just doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

You can adjust the pre-travel. You'll need to take the upper off from the frame and use a 1.5mm allen wrench. You stick it in at 45 degrees into the back of the trigger inside the frame. It should be tightened with loctite. If you can't get it moved I suggest you disassemble the trigger & bar from the frame and check it out. Maybe the loctite need to be broken with heat. If so, I'd take the screw out of the trigger, clean the screw & trigger threads and apply new blue loctite before you put it back in. I don't recommend adjusting the pre-travel too much since you'll need to have some slap for the reset to work properly. You can remove some pre-travel, but test it by seeing if the trigger reset works after your adjustment.

Maybe I'll make a video of this as well. hmm, really considering making a DVD..

Anybody interested in buying a DVD if I take the time to make one?

Larry,

You can adjust the pre-travel. You'll need to take the upper off from the frame and use a 1.5mm allen wrench. You stick it in at 45 degrees into the back of the trigger inside the frame. It should be tightened with loctite. If you can't get it moved I suggest you disassemble the trigger & bar from the frame and check it out. Maybe the loctite need to be broken with heat. If so, I'd take the screw out of the trigger, clean the screw & trigger threads and apply new blue loctite before you put it back in. I don't recommend adjusting the pre-travel too much since you'll need to have some slap for the reset to work properly. You can remove some pre-travel, but test it by seeing if the trigger reset works after your adjustment.

Maybe I'll make a video of this as well. hmm, really considering making a DVD..

Anybody interested in buying a DVD if I take the time to make one?

I'd be interested in the dvd Henning.

• 8 months later...

Just ran across this thread and you can put me down for a DVD. I shoot NRA Action Pistol mostly and the rule change requiring the grip saftey to be functional keeps biting me in the rear. I have shot a high hold so long I still manage to be pushing up on the beaver tail and that can cost a lot of points. I like the feel of the Witness much better anyway. I have a Match coming and if it shoots as good as I think it will I will likely convert to a Limited set up as an Open Bianchi Gun.

You might not be able to adjust the pretravel without disassembling the trigger. I've noticed that the wrench barely fits it there depending on if the spring is in your way... But if you can get the wrench seated properly in there, then just give her hell - that first time can be a pain. Also, the stock screw is ground at an angle, so a very minor rotation of the screw makes a huge difference in travel adjustment. It almost seems like it's meant to be adjusted in full turn increments, but you can run into the frame in a hurry (may have to back the overtravel screw out a ways to get the needed movement). Or, maybe they meant for you to adjust it only a nat's ass at a time... not sure.

Henning, DVD depends on whats on it and how much (I'd hesitate to spend more than $20-25 on one...), but any resource you can put out there for these guns in this country is a good thing.

• 1 month later...
You might not be able to adjust the pretravel without disassembling the trigger. I've noticed that the wrench barely fits it there depending on if the spring is in your way... But if you can get the wrench seated properly in there, then just give her hell - that first time can be a pain. Also, the stock screw is ground at an angle, so a very minor rotation of the screw makes a huge difference in travel adjustment. It almost seems like it's meant to be adjusted in full turn increments, but you can run into the frame in a hurry (may have to back the overtravel screw out a ways to get the needed movement). Or, maybe they meant for you to adjust it only a nat's ass at a time... not sure.

Henning, DVD depends on whats on it and how much (I'd hesitate to spend more than $20-25 on one...), but any resource you can put out there for these guns in this country is a good thing.

Would like to have one (complete trigger job and tuning) CD...

You might not be able to adjust the pretravel without disassembling the trigger. I've noticed that the wrench barely fits it there depending on if the spring is in your way...

I use a long allen wrench with the 'ball' end on it. They are a little more effective when you can't get the perfect angle...