Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G29 In 40 Smith For Production

Overkill

I've been toying with the idea of running my 29 in production with a 40 smith barrel.

Any idea if the 29 will run at a 130'something PF?

Production rules say barrel swaps are allowed as long as the "caliber" is the same and in the glossary "caliber" is only defined in terms bullet diameter. Should be ok right?

The gun is currently sprung with a wolff double spring set so I can reduce the spring weight if necessary.

Does anybody have a recipe for a long loaded Bear Creek or Precision 155 gr or 180 grain bullet? I've got Clays, Universal Clays, Blue Dot, Tight Group and Tight Wad, and Powerpistol in stock.

There is a thread around here on the legality of that. (a few of them).

I put in a word asking for an "official ruling" a few weeks ago. I haven't heard back. My feeling is the current bake-up of the BOD is going with this "stock gun" idea for Production and Single-Stack and "race gun" for Limited and Open. :rolleyes:

I expect the BOD to rule against this.

Logic ?

Logic ?

I cant think of any besides increasing my brass costs. I could just as easily down load 10mm brass to the same PF.

I don't think Flex meant to ask for your logic but rather the logic of the BoD. He's been a supporter of .40 in the G20/G29 on the grounds that 10mm brass is $1,000,000/k in previous threads on the topic.

Try shooting long 40's in your 10mm barrel, it works fine in my 29.

Trapr

I've done that and it works, but it didnt seem like it was as accurate as it should have been. Who know's maybe I could play with it and make it work but I only shot a couple rounds to see if it would function, and I already have a 40 replacement barrel.

I responded in that thread the Flex linked to to the Amidon "ruling".

Yeah...I didn't mean to steer this thread toward the legalities. As Steve was doing...lets get back to the practicality of it...

I've never shot a G29. I've shot G30's (45scp) and they are plenty accurate...surprisingly so. Reloading to them is a pain...literally...as the strong hand tends to get in the way and gets pinched as the mag is inserted.

I don't know about how tightly they are sprung. On my gf's full-size G20, we run it with a light spring for Limited (Major power factor). It has a 40 barrel (KKM) in it. It will run my minor (40) Production loads just fine. (3.5g+ of TG with 180g bullets at 1.135 OAL)

If you want to play you can, i do NOT believe you can change calibers in procution. If you just want to shoot in production ok.. but if you want to compete, the 29 has too short of a sight radius and you can't use any grip extensions.

My 29 is crazy accurate and I dont use grip extensions anyway. The wide glocks fit my hands better than the narrow ones anyway, and I shoot short grip guns so frequently the mag changing and hanging pinkey dont even begin to bother me.

I played with some reloads today. I was shooting a Bear Creek 155 SWC over Universal. Anything below about 900 FPS (140 PF, 4.6'ish grains) wouldn't cycle. Maybe with a lighter spring set I could get it reliable at 135. I'll have to place an order with Wolff. In the mean time I'll put together a small batch at 4.9'ish grains and see how it shoots.

OK,

The G29 fits my hand well also, but I was thinking of using it in Limited with extended mags and a .40 barrell.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Many thanks to Flexmoney for his perseverance and lobbying efforts on the legality of swapping .40 caliber barrells into our .40 caliber 10mm Glock frames in USPSA.

It seems pretty obvious that it should be legal, at least for Limited...

Tom Bergman

You guys ought to lobby on your end as well. It won't get done with just me...I'm fairly certain of that.

The thing I don't get is why its illegal just because Amidon says its so. I'm pretty sure the rule book doesn't allow him to make law independently. Maybe he has the power to interpret where the rules aren't clear, but in this case they are clear. Under the rules if the caliber (diameter) is the same and you make power factor you're golden the way I read it.

And the fact of the mater is, you're not violating the spirit of Production. 40 caliber, 155 grain at 870 fps is 135pm whether it comes out of 10mm brass or 40 smith brass. Shooting a 20 or 29 in production using a 40 smith barrel doesn't give any competitive advantage that's not available to anybody else with access to downloaded amunition

I've got a 15 pound spring set coming from Wolff, that's the lowest they catalog; 17 is standard. So we'll so how low I can go after I put some cycles on the 15 pound spring to break it in a little.

It's not illegal because Amidon says so. Just the same, it's not legal because you or I say so.

Amidon is the head of USPSA National Range Officer Institute (NROI). He has been the Range Master at any number of Nationals matches. His opinion carries weight. But, you are right, it is not absolute. By our rulebook, we have the rules that are written in the book, and the "Official Rules Intertretations" that are found on the USPSA website. If there is a problem with them at a match, we have an arbitration process that needs to be followed. (Which includes sending the arb findings off to NROI so they can take further action to address the confusion...if needed).

What I'm getting at is...I asked for an Official Ruling on this. That means it is going to have to come from the BOD. Currently, I feel the BOD is in a place where they are on a kick to make our divisions into "race gun" and "stock gun". (race being Open and Limited...)

We likely have BOD members that would be more than OK with this, but I fear they are having to pick their battles.