Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching Back To Open From Limited

Jaxshooter

It is a visual acuity issue only. Your eye is looking for a sight, your hand is trying to help and your brain is making a sandwich. You can still shoot. :) Not to be obvious. But, it's sounds to me like re-training your eye(s) is in order. From the bench, group shooting, lots of groups. Few hundred rounds and your blazing away again.

Jim

I just switched from shooting Production (for the past 4 years) to Open and I had a similar experience. I seemed (and actually was) slower with the Open gun.

So I shot a lot of slow fire groups and then started working on basic speed stuff. You know; one shot draws, two shot draws, target to target, shoot one reload shoot one, shooting on the move, etc. I paid close attention to what the dot was doing and started to learn the timing of the dot/ tracking the dot.

It all has to do with vision. Your eyes are used to watching the front sight track in relation to the rear notch and superimposing the image on the point on the target that you want to hit. As Jimmy said, your eyes just have to get used to the (seemingly overloaded) imput of the dot moving around; re-learn how to call an exceptable sight picture, quickly. If the front sight is a little off in the rear notch, you judge whether or not it's exceptable (call the shot) and then let the shot go. If the shot is tougher then you re-adjust your sight alignment then let the shot go. The dot gives you immediate imput without having to translate your sight picture/sight alignment into calling the shot. With the dot, you know immediately where the shot will go, as long as you follow through. With irons, a less experienced shooter may mis-call the shot or misinterperet his sight aligment. The dot can be so fast once you track it/time it right and you have your target index down to a science.

You definately can perceive more of the flaws in your grip and 'hold' with a dot gun than an iron sighted gun, that's for sure....

You'll get it back in no time... :D

Edited by Turtle