Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max Press Extension?

Shaka

I was recently told that I push the gun out too quickly during presentation. I will get the gun out and up on target very quickly but then there is a slight pause before shot is taken. My question or thought is that it feels very slowwww to me. If I continue with my current method will it get better or do I need to slow down my presentation to see the sights sooner. It was said that with slowing the presentation down, the shot should break when I have achieved max extension. Any thoughts on what others do and how it works for them.

Shooting iron sights on my SS with dept. required night sights.

You should be getting a decent sight picture before finishing the press, and ultimately breaking the first shot (if it's a reasonably easy shot) just before finishing the press. If you're throwing it out there and having to wait for the bounce to settle, then you need to smooth out the stroke. Try concentrating on fast-slow-fast-slow. Fast to the gun, slow to the grip, fast to the mount, slow to the presentation. I've also noticed that when I bounce the gun, it's from using my strong hand to push it out, rather than weak or balanced.

H.

Your press extension should be smooth so that you get your sight picture while you're pressing out and break the shot once you've extended. That is faster than extending out as fast as you can then getting your sight picture. The former technique may feel slower, but when you run it against a timer, you'll see it really is faster.