Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Many Errors

THS

OK, this is painful.  Looking back I can see a few good points for the future.

1.  Don't have a fight with your wife the night before a sectional.  It makes it real hard to clear your mind.

2.  Check to see that you bring your belt, holster, mag pouches and inner belt.  Your brain will fade even more if you have to use concealment gear with your race gun.

3.  Test fire FULL magazines of the ammo you intend to shoot!  Even if it is factory, it may not work under too much tension.

That was my weekend in a nutshell!  Looking back I should have switched to production as soon as I realized I had forgotten my race belt and attached gear.  I had my carry Glock, plenty of mags, and factory .40 Hydra Shok.  

Instead I tried to use Glock and Sig mag pouches and an IDPA type holster with my STI in limited, which resulted in my getting creamed.  I hope my squad mates had a good laugh at least.  

The ammo gun malfunctioning was just bad luck.  I had chrono'd Hydra shok several times with between 5 and 12 in a mag with no problems at all.  Then I stuff 20 in and everything goes to hell, FAST.  The extra spring tension changed the feed angle just enough to keep the rounds from feeding for the first several from each mag.  Of course it took 6 of 9 stages to figure that out and down load mags.  I reloaded more, but at least it ran OK.

I wrote a full page in my shooting diarytraining log, a bunch in red pen too, in an effort to commit these lessons to memory.  

I wish for the day when I can shoot a full match up to my skill level WITHOUT stupid judgement errors like these.

The Summer Blast is in 2 weeks.......

Tom

Jerry B's tapes or class is good for teaching this. It needs to be an obssesive habit to run through a checklist of stuff you need. He even brings 3 pairs of shoes for different conditions. I think this builds confidence. Ron Avery is a big fan of confidence also. I guess these guys preach the same story. I forgot my gun and everything else at one time or another also.

My feeling and experience is if my equipment is malfunctioning, I will stay home. Having problems can build a negative attitude that is hard to shake. In reality you are not winning any class/match with a malfunctioning gun. Good luck in VA. I hope you get everything squared away.

Bill,

I'm looking at Friday.  That is fathers day weekend, and I'm trying to balance time with kids and shooting.  I can get a day off much more easily from work that I can from my kids!

I've already re-done my match checklist, and ordered some 180's to load for the Blast.  

Shoot center,

Tom

I can relate Tom - here's my own list of Do Not's learned this weekend.

1.  Don't try to shoot with the stomach flu

2.  Don't shoot 10 stages + 2 reshoots for a total of 12 stages in one day (400+ rounds)

3.  Don't shoot in 100 degree heat.

If you happen to encounter ALL THREE of the above at the same time, just stay in bed!!!!!!