Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron Sights Sight Shooters Vs. Open Shootes

Flyin40

I have really been working the whole vision thing lately. Been reading where guys can see the slide cycle, brass eject etc. I'm wondering does this apply more to iron sight shooters who bring the focus back to the front sight vs Open shooters who are more target focused and don't bring the focus back to the gun. Should an open shooter be able to still see what a limited shooter can???

Flyin40

I see more shooting limited. Partly because the sights are on the slide so I'm watching them and also because in open the scope is in the way of the rest of the gun. I think the focus part is a lot of it. I'd see my hits better shooting open because I was already looking at the target.

I see more shooting limited. Partly because the sights are on the slide so I'm watching them and also because in open the scope is in the way of the rest of the gun. I think the focus part is a lot of it. I'd see my hits better shooting open because I was already looking at the target.

I was thinking along the same lines just was wondering. You still headed down tomorrow??? What time are you going to shoot??

Flyin40

John,

Let me throw this out there. (I just realized I won't be addressing the equipment...go figure. :) )

I know you are working on seeing. Perhaps you are working on seeing certain things ?

To me, that might imply a bit of trying. Which could be tunneling in the vision and concentration ?

Maybe play with a relaxed awareness a bit. See if opening up can help.

John,

Let me throw this out there. (I just realized I won't be addressing the equipment...go figure. :) )

I know you are working on seeing. Perhaps you are working on seeing certain things ?

To me, that might imply a bit of trying. Which could be tunneling in the vision and concentration ?

Maybe play with a relaxed awareness a bit. See if opening up can help.

This was more an equipment discussion, a open class vs limited class. Shooting limited I have been able to see the sight rise and fall, brass eject front sight lift and come back down. I think this comes from bringing your focus back to the front sight so the focus of your eyes are near the gun which allows a more detailed picture of whats going on near the gun when you are aware and relaxed. Now for open my focus is on the target. I don't think I would see the slide cycle regardless because of the C-more being higher and away from the slide. I have seen brass eject somewhat but it was more a peripheral thing.

Being able to see these things mean you are relaxed and aware. I just don't recall any open shooters talking about what they see. I do notice when shooting open I see the dot move, actually I see every wiggle it makes as it tracks. Usually if I'm seeing that I'm pretty relaxed and shooting lots of A's. I'm not trying to see it, just working on being relaxed and it takes care of itself.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

John, I know that I'm not answering this question equipment wise...so please bear with me...

I have been experimenting with many different moods and perspectives of my shooting during the winter months. I have used meditation and music before dry and livefire sessions to place myself at different angles. Sometimes at the range, I focus on a specific serration on my slide while listening to Mozart or new-age type music. All of this has lead me to better understand visual patience, and that it doesn't require more time, just a different type of seeing.

Okay, everyone can put down their bong now. I've got those classifier books and "score cards" all packed up for you, Matt, and Steve tomorrow.

John, I know that I'm not answering this question equipment wise...so please bear with me...

I have been experimenting with many different moods and perspectives of my shooting during the winter months. I have used meditation and music before dry and livefire sessions to place myself at different angles. Sometimes at the range, I focus on a specific serration on my slide while listening to Mozart or new-age type music. All of this has lead me to better understand visual patience, and that it doesn't require more time, just a different type of seeing.

Okay, everyone can put down their bong now. I've got those classifier books and "score cards" all packed up for you, Matt, and Steve tomorrow.

Don't pull out the "score cards" out until the match is over. It tends to lead to "trying to shoot the classifier in a certain amount of time" Just shoot, relax and check it out after the match.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Don't pull out the "score cards" out until the match is over. It tends to lead to "trying to shoot the classifier in a certain amount" Just shoot, relax and check it out after the match.

Flyin40

Bingo. That the way to shoot 100% classifiers. I don't think I'm going to make it. Too much to do and buying a new car has been eating up my time...

• 2 weeks later...