Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to cause an ejector fire

Carlos

First met local bad ass GM Phil Strader when he was RO'ing my squad at York PA last year. Went to unload and show clear and at that time, I was shooting long-loaded Semi-wadcutters from Westcoast in 200 grn/.45. The nose of the chambered round jammed on the ejection port and caught the edge of the ejector between the primer and case. After quickly and violent yanking and hitting of the slide on my part, the round fell out. Phil immediatly stopped me and safely picked up the round.  Thank God for super hard CCI primers, there was a huge ejector dent running accross the case and primer! Only He knows how close I came to setting that round off. Now I always unload "real easy-like!".  

To top it off, I tried to blow Phil to bits again later that day with a squib  load. Again, Phil caught that one before I did any damage to either of us. After trying to kill her husband twice in one day, its a wonder his wife is still cordial to me.

Note: violently racking the slide during unloading may look cool and everything, but it is a mistake to be avoided.

I have seen one person lose part of a finger and another one injured. Both were racking the slide by placing their hand over the port. I now try to stop everyone from doing it but some can get resentful. Oh well.

Here is the sad part- the ejection port was not covered so the RO would have bourne the brunt of the blast! I use the rear serrations; it was just that the nose of the round caught just so on the edge of the port; usually loaded rounds will just clear it but on this occasion it stuck - maybe the round had lengthened from being chambered. I do use a fairly light crimp on plated bullets since a moderate to heavy crimp ruins plated accuracy. Now, most of my unloaded rounds fall through the grip frame after I sort of ease back the slide after a stage. The front serrations? Well, I suppose they do lighten up the slide a little, otherwise I don't have a use for them.

• 5 weeks later...

A few years ago I actually did have an ejector fire. Short story is I was shooting a borrowed STI 40 at our Sectoin Championships. (Brian remember Topton...Dougs home range ?) In any event I started off being very consistant and getting a little better each stage...got down to a cool field course which I was completly Zenned in on....shooting on the run thru windows..only stopping or slowing to change directions....seriously shooting well....end of the stage has a door to open which activates a drop turner..then you clean up some steel and a few paper....I finish the sprint to the door...get 2 shots on the Drop turner as soon as it appears and then the GUN stopped....

I tried to rack the slide...stuck tight....I dumped the mag....grabbed the from serations and started yanking.....finally the slide moved..as my hand slipped over the ejection port... and sort of a muffelled loud POP...after which it felt like somebody wacked me in the palm of my hand with a baseball bat.... it took the RO a second or to to realize all was not rigth.....he then helped me holster my gun as got me some first aid for my lacerated left hand...fortuantly he only had to change his skivvies....I bagged up my toys....my friends presented me with a burst case which sits on my dresser and after 1 trip to my doc and 1 month later to a surgon to remove that mysterious piece of brass in my index finger all was rigth with the world....

OK I lied ...it wasn't the short version.....lessons learned...when your gun locks up take your time and get it going safely.....always inspect your brass....I got stung by a fat round and a tight chamber...

and don't get your hand over the ejection port when clearing a jam.....

I spent a little time with Todd and he says basically the longer you play with guns the higher a chance you have of getting hurt "especially if you are not careful"...he has had some really strange things happen...including the amazing exploding mag....at last years Summer Blast in VA...

Anyway

Take Care and Be Safe..be very safe...