Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make sure your ammo is up to snuff.

sfinney

Just got back from Area 4, where my worst stage was chrono. 164.47 PF.

What makes it worse is I shot probably the best match of my life (came in 2nd in my class by @ 1%. I easily lost 5% due to shooting minor).

My ammo chrono'ed out at 169 - 171 on 2 different chronos last week, but fell short at Area 4. Oh well, guess I'll load for 175 - 180 PF from now on.

On the flip side, I learned alot, and maybe shooting minor was actually a good thing - I was forced to concentrate on shooting A's, rather than hosing.... it felt great to keep hearing the R.O keep saying "2 alpha, 2 alpha, 2 alpha.... what did you AIM or something ?"

(FYI, 8.5 grains of 3N37 under a 124 grain FMJ through a 2 blow hole/ 6 port comp did not make major on THAT chrono at least... guess I'll bump up to 8.7/8.8 grains?)

Eric,

What brand 5 port comp are you using?

I'm searching for a new powder. I was using 7625* with 115s with a Nowlin barrel and a 5 port EGW comp. Shoots soft but flips a bit too much. I just tried some N350 but it's too slow with 115s in my gun. I get a big fireball out of the comp and every 3rd or 4th shot there's a huge black-powder like BOOM which I suppose is accumulated unburned powder in the comp lighting off. Looks and sounds way cool but it's generally distracting. Soon as I can find a pound of 3N37, I'm anxious to see how it works with the 115s.

*and IMR won't have any 7625 available until sometime in 2003 anyway.

No, I'm using a Cmore. Didn't notice the fireball with 125s and it's not apparently in bright sunlite but I was chronoing in the evening and the sun had set behind a hill so the light was slightly reduced though far from dusk. The fireball with the 115s was enough that it was making me blink. I was trying to track the dot to get a feel for how flat the load was shooting and I just could not see it.

No matter. I have some 3N37 on the way. Hopefully that will be the right burn rate/gas volume for my EGW 5 port with 115s.