Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun won't cycle

fastshooter03

hey everyone.

I've Been following this thread because a local shooter is trying to make a 9 major out of a Para. I cut his slide back because he wanted to used the factory barrel threaded for a comp. It has one of those comps with the top holes only and the cast-in expansion chambers. The gun just won't reliably cycle for more than 3 rds. I'm guessing we're not using the right powder or bullet weight or both. I haven't got the current info of what loads were tried because I'm not personally doing the testing. I do know it has the lightest recoil spring available in it with absolutely no binding or tightness in any of the fitting along with lightening cuts on the slide.

What bullet weight should be used?

What powders will give the best cycling? I don't think we have any of the powders listed.

thanks

Fastshooter03

Edited by fastshooter03

Unless your loads are so low powered that they just won't cycle the gun in the first place, its not the load, and the powder won't make any difference. There's a "hardware" issue with the gun.

How is it not cycling? What do the symptoms look like?

It has one of those comps with the top holes only and the cast-in expansion chambers. The gun just won't reliably cycle for more than 3 rds.

I've got one of those comps. I might put it on a rifle some day.

I think they feel out of favor because they are very heavy...which makes it hard for the gun to cycle.

Lots of factors going on here..need to know more info..

how heavy is the comp..the comp mass will affect cycling..also need to have a known spring weight and known PF of the ammo being tested..

what is not cycling..what is happening.