Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal 3 Gun Setup

Lars

Hello all. I've been away from competition shooting for a couple of years and would like to get started again. I live in Oregon and used to shoot a practical rifle match and USPSA pistol matches. I'm interested in gathering gear to hopefully start shooting again next year. I've been leaning toward Heavy Metal division. I'm confused on the shotgun that is allowed in Area 1. The rules kind of leave it open. Anybody know what is normal for Area 1? I am interested in POF's 308 rifle and I was thinking for a pistol a FNP-45, M&P 45, or the new HK45. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lars

The rules for Heavy Metal vary a lot match to match... ask at your local club. If you want to be safe, go with:

Rifle - .308, iron sights, no bipod, 20 round mags, full power (Major) loads

Pistol - single stack 1911 in .45ACP

Shotgun - pump action 12ga

The above kit should allow you to comply with the rules at most any match, but may make you uncompetitive somtimes (like at matches that permit rifle optics, double stack .40 pistol and a semi-auto shotgun). Welcome to HM :blink: .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Just what StealthyBlagga said.

Add a few 10 round mags for you 1911 and you will be set for anything. Some rules allow for 10 rounds max in handgun, others only allow you to have 8 round max.

Some of the shoots may allow optics and semi-auto shotgun but I think they get scored seperate. I could be wrong about that.

I have a friend that will let me borrow some equipment to get back into the game. USP .45 & DPMS 308 AP4. I can pick up a Nova locally and order an extension for it. I called about the 3 gun matches that they hold in Albany, OR and was told that the pistol required only 10 rounds of ammo max in the magazine. It was mentioned that he ran a double stack 1911 and just loaded to 10. I think that these are the rules that they are using in the Area 1 match coming up. I'm still undecided on what pistol and rifle to run. I'm going to try the DPMS and the USP to start with. I definitely don't like the feel of the USP but I can get better groups with it than my Kimbers that I've owned. Sig has a P220 single action that looks promising. I've always liked the way Sigs feel. What are the advantages of an AR style over say a M1A for Heavy Metal? Thanks.

Lars

Edited by Lars

LARS

On the AR10 vs M1A, They are both very good for the game (I prefer the M1A myself) each has its own supporters. It comes down to personal preference and what is more familiar. I know several that shoot AR-15 regularly and can change to the AR-10 easily because all the buttons, safeties, ect are the same. It just boils down to what you get used to. With practice I think the M1A is quicker to reload but I could be wrong.

Wait until KurtM tosses his opinion in the ring...........He knows what he's talking about (sometimes :D )

Hopalong

As for shotgun, the Nova gets the nod for me.

I like that the lift gate stays down making a loading ramp of sorts. Nice to keep it out of your way. Also the bolt unlocks as soon as you pull the trigger. Makes for a nice smooth pump action. The 3 1/2" size loading port gives me lots of room to stuff shells in.

I use the DPMS w/18" barrel for a rifle. We have M-14's at my Police Department and I have to say, I really get along with the sights well on that rifle. This one would be a toss up.

For handgun I shoot a S&W 1911, but I much prefer the grip size of the double stack weapons, so I put on a set of "Pinnacle" grips.

Take my opinions for what they are worth. I kind of suck at this game :D . I have a lot of fun though.

Payne

For me, I'd run my SA 1911, .45 for the pistol.

I'd have to pick up a Nova 12ga. with a tube for the scattergun.

Definitely the unbuilt LR-308 that I have for the rifle (although...talk about a great excuse to buy a M-1A).

I think in 2010 I'll try my hand at either Tac Irons/Limited and/or Heavy Metal. Just for giggles. Who knows...might be able to eek out something.

Rich