Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading

benny hill

Of course, every shooter must know his limitations (thanks for the quote Clint). Mine do not include a shot from 40 yards away.

Lee

I don't doubt you, but IDPA has that "Failure to Neutralize" gottcha, where two "-3" hits (roughly equivalent of the D-zone on an IPSC target) results in a whopping 5 second penalty, so you'd be down 8 seconds total from *one* target, despite two hits on paper, whereas in IPSC, two -D hits on a 40yard target might not necessarily be a match killer....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to do a RWR if the mag is empty but a round is still in the chamber?

BK

Yes, you have to retain the mag anytime the gun is loaded (not the mag). When the gun is empty, it is usually at slide lock, but not always. Exception would include malfunctions.

Differences in officiating is why I a huge fan of stationary SO's, I believe that's why serious matchs run that way. Then the SO can run as stage pretty consistently. I know it is harder to run a match that way (you need to let the SO's shoot the match as a group before or after the main body).

But the reality is that differences do happen. IDPA does not require a stage desc to be posted and religiously adhered to. SO's get a pre match walk thru. Sometimes this is the first time they are seeing the stages, especially the finalized versions. They can understand the walkthru differently. Then they might forget part of it. Whatever the reason, the stages end up being run slightly different.

So that's why I say, shoot it to the SO's spec's, if you are talking with another shooter and find they were allowed to reload where you were told not to, then the stage needs to be tossed or reshot.

O.K. , I got from the replies that as long as I am behind a wall, I can RWR as I move along behind it behind cover. The next question is on an upcomming stage where you engage three targets from cover & as you move to another cover about 10 yds away you engage a target w/ hardcover while moveing. With a single stack I will shoot the first three 2 times each & the hardcover 3 times on the move. QUESTION, I now am at slide lock , out in the open with 20' left to run. Do I haul ass w/ a empty gun to cover or stop in the OPEN & reload or reload on the move? Does'nt make much sense to run all that way w/ an empty gun.

Were you required to put three on the hard cover target? If so, you should have topped off before leaving cover. If you fired a makeup shot, you didn't leave yourself an out. The rules say you must reload behind cover if cover is available so I'd say you have to haul it to cover before you reload.