Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying An Open Gun?

JRD83

I'm pretty new to practical shooting. I've been around firearms and shooting in general for a long time now, just never done much with this style of shooting. I was involved in the competitive archery scene for a long time as well. I've gotten into some steel plate and practical shooting latley, and now I'm hooked! I thought about just starting out in a limited or production class because I own several handguns already that I could compete with. But, I think I have made my mind up to just buy a new handgun and go straight into the open division. Looking for suggestions and what I should consider for a new pistol. I know the STI's are very popular. I would like to go with a gun that will double as a good steel gun as well. Looking for ideas on the gun, holster, and other gear that will be needed to compete in open. I do handload so thats not a problem either. I like the looks and feel of the Para Ord p18-9 in 9mm, but I dont know if it can handle being loaded to 9mm major or not. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Having one built is an option as well. I know a very competent gunsmith who specializes in 1911s and has built several guns. Does anyone think this is a good way to go?

welcome to the forum!

i have not been doing practical shooting that long, but have learned ALOT in a short time (thanks to this forum).

first, dont let anyone tell you not to start with open division. i started in open and absouletly love it. you just might want to try an open gun out first to make sure you really want to do open division. also if you can, compare the "full length" to the "shorty" open guns, see which you prefer.

In this division custom build is the only way to go. Dave Dawson from Dawson precision built mine. he builds amazing guns! there are many great gunsmiths that you will read about on this forum (Brazos, Bedell etc...) give them each a call and see what you think. you can also do a search here on the forum for each of the builders and you will get alot of feedback.

you are right about the STIs being popular. most of the custom build open guns are based on the STI 2011 frame (so stick with that, its been proven to work great). as far as caliber, 38 supercomp or 9mm major. holsters and mag pouches are a matter of opinion, just look around to see what people are using and pick one you like.

hope that helps

Will

I'm pretty new to practical shooting. I've been around firearms and shooting in general for a long time now, just never done much with this style of shooting. I was involved in the competitive archery scene for a long time as well. I've gotten into some steel plate and practical shooting latley, and now I'm hooked! I thought about just starting out in a limited or production class because I own several handguns already that I could compete with. But, I think I have made my mind up to just buy a new handgun and go straight into the open division. Looking for suggestions and what I should consider for a new pistol. I know the STI's are very popular. I would like to go with a gun that will double as a good steel gun as well. Looking for ideas on the gun, holster, and other gear that will be needed to compete in open. I do handload so thats not a problem either. I like the looks and feel of the Para Ord p18-9 in 9mm, but I dont know if it can handle being loaded to 9mm major or not. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Having one built is an option as well. I know a very competent gunsmith who specializes in 1911s and has built several guns. Does anyone think this is a good way to go?

I shoot both steel and USPSA. I have open single stack for steel since I only shot steel for several years before I got into USPSA. I would agree that you should try various open guns first. If you wanrt one gun to do both, have something in .38 super or .38 supercomp built on an STI be a good smith. Just look on the forum and you will see many mentioned-Pinnacle, Dawson, Brazos, EGW, Bedell, etc. All build fine guns with aprice tag and a wait time. Let the forum guys here know where you are from and almost all will let you try their guns either at a mtach or practice. Happens to me all the time and I am glad to do it. We are all proud of them and our gunsmiths work. If going into open, you have a choice of a tube scope ( aimpont is best) or C-More and OKO for the open dots. Don't buy a junky scope, it will break. A 2011 frame will let you play both games. You can shoot majo and have you smith set the gun up with lighter spings for steel. Beware though that idf you do not get enough gas, the gun will not cycle. Ask your smith what he/she has bulit and run. I use a CR Speed Holter in Open but a lot of guys like Ghosts, Safariland and Lincal. Again, ask to try them. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.

Mike

As someone who is currently writing a check for a custom built open gun this very day.....I would suggest you keep cost in mind. If you've got the budget to do it...go for it.

The cost of an open gun in practical terms:

26 weeks worth of groceries

or

13 (12hr) overtime shifts at the hospital

or

A family vacation to Disney World

or

A new bed with a tempur-pedic mattress

I think my gun will be worth it but it has been costly. :)

EAA/Tanfoglio is an option if cost is a concern. I got mine for $1400 in 9mm major plus 4 mags, not including the scope and mounts. Only drawback are the 170mm mags. There are none until Henning gets them. Go and talk to Henning. He can set you up.

My new Open gun came today. I love her so much. Ok, my I need a moment alone...

Ok I'm back,

I would absolutely suggest having one of the top Smiths build you a gun. At there level they all build top notch guns. I am a big believer in people. I spoke with several of the top guys and went with who I felt could build ME the best gun. Not just a Cookie Cutter gun. You may have to wait a little longer and you may have to pay a little more from the top guys but it is worth every penny. The guns at this level are all great and will shoot better than you (and me) for a long time. Talk to several builders and shooters, read this forum and you will make an educated decision. Remember the top GM shooters you see in the magazine can shoot anything and win, it is their skill not their equipment that makes them great. I get better as my skill level increases, not my equipment.

Practice Practice Practice

untitled.bmp

Attached is my new Bedell Shorty in .38sc. isn't she beautiful?

JRD83

I have been shooting IPSC since 1987 and have only shot the open class.

Started with a single stack .45 comp gun. Then over the years 2 .38 super single stacks and since the early 90's my current open gun, a Caspian wide body with an aimpoint. All 4 of these guns were built by a St. Louis gunsmith, Otto Matyska.

I agree that there are a lot of great builders out there, but keep in mind when you are purchasing an open gun or any custom gun, you are also buying the pistolsmith's vision of what he considers cutting edge at the time as far as short comp, long comp, snappy recoil, soft recoil, etc. I hope you get the Idea.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's the open gun was evolving so fast that if you had a 6-12 month wait time to get it, you were already behind the curve. Now that is not the case.

I also do not favor the cookie cutter approach to gun building and am very proud that my old war house Caspian was built to my hand, and my shooting style. I doubt that Otto has built the same Open gun twice, as every one that I have seen I would consider a one-off, or as he calls my gun, a prototype.

Take your time and try to shoot as many different open guns as you can and then take the plunge... If you get to the point, (as I am) that when you step to the line you believe your equipment is some of the best obtainable... you've made the right decision. Then Just Shoot!

Enjoy

Marty

A-7424