Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55g M193 Or Amer. Eagle .223 Ammo

Blockhead

I've been shooting the 55g BTFMJ American Eagle for a while with reasonable success (no problems I can blame on the ammo or the rifle anyway). Lately the prices have been going up and the supply seems to be slim to nil.

Any suggestions on a good source?

Wideners had some last week, but I dont know if they do now. If you need some for the year you had better buy it when and where you can buy it. I was quoted 9 months for a LE order, so you can imagine where the civilian supplies are going to be.....

I do not like saying this, as it sounds inflamatory and reactionary, but at an LE class at the state academy a couple of weeks every dept told me the same thing.

You can of course get American ammunition .223, but since it is AMERC and there is stories about it on AR-15.com, buyer beware.... :ph34r:

DougC

Price and availability of any .223 has led me to dust off the .223 toolhead for my 550.

Good idea. Last AE I bought in 06 was $180 per K at a gunshow in PA (mighta been that outfit out of NJ). I think that Berry's has some 55 grn bullets at prices lower than surplus.

Stay away from the AMERC crap. A buddy had a case and I fired 1 1/2 mags and had 2 case head separations. I thought the first was a fluke. I gave him the rest of the second mag back and was glad for no damage. He then ran some through a FN and had the same thing happen 5 minutes later.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like there's a bizillion "discount" ammo houses out there on the web but everybody is out of stock. I'm gonna call Impact Guns in Ogden tomorrow. Their site says that while they're currently out of stock, they are taking orders for Lake City XM193.

+1 on the advice to stay away from impact guns. There basic mode of business seems to be to put everything under the sun on their webpages in hopes of you giving them an interest free loan for 6 months or until your tired of not getting your goods. Also beware they are very reluctant to give refunds on undelivered orders. All in all a very lowbrow operation.

As to where to find .223 ammo here's a good page that gets updated weekly. Pickins are looking slim.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying a case of the 55 gr. American Eagle from Outdoor Marksman for $320 + UPS. I think I'm gonna start investing in a case every other month or so given the way the prices have been going up over the last 18 mo.

Thanks to all for the input.

CB :)