Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice On Selecting Barrel Ramp Cut For 2011

Smokecloud

I am getting ready to build a new Limited race gun in .40sw. Looking at STI frame, Bar-Sto bull barrel and Caspian slide.

I have spoke to a couple of people about the various barrel ramp cuts and their pros and cons. What is the preferred method here with you guys? Seems like the STI mostly offers the Nowlin/Wilson cut more than the Clark/Para cut. When I look at barrel selections to match them up, I noticed that Bar-Sto also offers the "Bar-Sto" cut for their ramp, but I have yet to see a frame offered for that cut. I have emails into Bar-Sto, Brownells, STI and various others, but of course email is slow and I dont have any replies as of yet (about a week). Im thinking of just ordering the Wilson/Nowlin cut for both barrel and frame.

Oh, another question, does anyone know where a Bar-Sto barrel might be in stock? I know what the wait game is like for one of those. I have checked with midwayusa, Brownells and speedshooter.com, but they all do not seem to stock that particular barrel at this time.

Thanks guys.

Virgil Tripp is a wealth of information. Talk with him sometime.

Most gunsmiths will agree the C/P has more surface area.

I generally stay with the C/P because my smithy likes it best.

There was a time when you could get a Nowlin in C/P cut but that has changed. Schuemann is now my barrel of choice.

Virgil Tripp is a wealth of information. Talk with him sometime.

Most gunsmiths will agree the C/P has more surface area.

I generally stay with the C/P because my smithy likes it best.

There was a time when you could get a Nowlin in C/P cut but that has changed. Schuemann is now my barrel of choice.

Agreed. don't need the special cutter for a C/P - just normal endmills. Schuemann is the MAN.

Thanks for all the reply's. I am learning a lot. I also just got a email from STI, they apparently do not offer the clark/para cut in their frames, so If im going to go that route, looks like I would have to buy a SV frame. I havent had much time to read up yet. Internet problems and two kids in diapers, but they will goto sleep sometime today and hopefully my net will still be working when they do.

Dave, it is a pretty simple operation. It only takes one set-up in the mill too which is nice.

The VERY basic version is you cut a notch for the feed ramp of the barrel to fit in and stick through, then make another cut below for the lug. The cuts are different sizes, so you need 2 endmills or equipment that will compensate for the different sized cutters. With 2 endmills and a knee mill it is a really simple operation.