Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Mag Issues

tnpyeron3

Good to hear. Para is good stuff and don't let anyone tell you differently. Mine's not going anywhere, even after my new Benny blaster gets here. Had an offer to buy it at a match two weekends ago and turned him down flat.

Edited by ken hebert

I had the nose dive problem start last fall. Just after I had a new barrel installed. Seems the ramp was not cut quite right. Did a little dremel work and it now seems to run.

What screwed me up some was that I also had one apparently bad mag tube. Change follower and spring to a different tube (Tube A) it runs good, Put spring and follower from tube A into the bad one and it won't feed. definately the tube since regardless of spring, ISMI 170 cut one coil, Para 140s or Wolf, the problem occurs in the one tube only, now that the feed ramp has been reshaped.

What had me really PO'd was that I put in all new springs at the suggestion of my buddies and cleaned and lubed and polished and... and still had the problem. Did a little comparison to my other Paras and noticed the feed ramp difference. So Dremel in hand, I attacked, what the heck, a brand new barrel isn't worth a nickel if the gun don't run.

Will be trying the scotch brite inside the tube, but thinking that particular tube might just be dead on arrival. It sure doesn't owe me after all this time. One of my originals, must have 9 years on it.

My Stock para Springs run for at least a year, maybe two as a general rule. seemed to be really good, Hope that the bad batch goes into scrap and they start sending the good ones again.

Jim

Update on Para feeding problem. Seems that the gun feeds just fine with Zero 180 JHP at 1.165" Sadly, it runs like crap with Montana Gold 180 JHP at the same length.

So, a friend gave me enough rounds, same load, but 1.2" OAL and the gun seems to run now. OAL can make BIG difference.

Oddly enough, the shorter loads run in my other Para with a MecTech Carbine top end without fail.

I have loaded up about 200 rounds and will go to the range tomorrow and run them to see if the problem is really now solved.

I had people telling me change mag springs, 5 new ISMI's, no good. Also tried 5 new Para springs, (not the ones that people are talking about here, but rather 5 that I bought last year. That didn't work either. I scrubbed tubes, I cleaned and lubed the gun, I tried different weight lubes, I changes the recoil spring.

The solution APPEARS in this case to have been the OAL.

Maybe now I can get back to shooting and stop worrying about whether the gun will run. Confidence is a necessary part of what we do.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Update on Mag issues.

With trusty dremel in hand, i attacked the feed ramp. Two attempts later, I have recontoured the ramp and finally everything SEEMS to be running. I can once again run my production length loads and my full length loads in my Para. Only problem that now happens is if I neglect my shok buff, I can get into trouble. New Rule, change the buff pre-match. Which brings up the next question. Where is Chuck Heitt and Rd Buff when we need him?

Jim

PS S_I is shorthand for STI or SVI