Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Different Trigger And Hammer

41mag

Hello everyone,

I shot my first match Sunday at Raynors range in ohio with my 25 -2. I had a blast. Some things that were really cool (besides the weather).....keeping my hands in my pockets and watching the bottom feeders load mags with cold red fingers.....walking away from a stage with all my brass (every one else just left theres lay in the snow....and of course being the only one there with a wheel gun. Between you guys here and shooting this match you can rest assured you have added another revolver shooter to your ranks. Will be joining USPSA today!

Hey spook...if your reading this thanks for the timer ;) . I don't have one of my own yet and last night I saw your video shooting the el prez. MAN! that is way cool! Nice shooting. So what I do for reload practice is start your video with my gun indexed down range, count your first six shots while you shoot, then go for my reload at the same time you do, get back on target and try to dry fire the last six shots in cadence with you. Your still beating be and my guns not even recoiling :blink::D !

Now for my plea for help... My 25-2 has the target hammer and trigger....I want a thinner trigger and a hammer like Mikes :D . I want to keep my stock parts. I have a K frame and an N frame in the safe that I could swap with if thats doable. From what info I found doing the search it would seem likely that some fitting might be required...if so , can I do it myself with help from you folks? If I swap with the other gun but keep the original sear that might work for the one retaining the sear but the other would be out of commision till a new sear was fitted? Maybe I should buy parts from somewhere (where,which ones,etc.) and get videos and books to do the work.

I would love to hear everyones recomendation on the best way for me to proceed.

When I meet you all at the big shoot some day I bet it will be with a wheel gun.

Thanks,

41mag

Go to the Brownells Website order Knusehausen (not sure of the spelling, but close) Book on S&W Revo's, Miculeks DVD on Trigger Jobs, another Trigger & Hammer (they do carry them and if they don't go to to Gun Parts Corp. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

and get the Trigger & Hammer).

Go to Walmarts and buy a Dremel with the flexible shaft & a Deluxe Bit Kit .

Go Home and play the metal termite.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Go to the Brownells Website order Knusehausen (not sure of the spelling, but close) Book on S&W Revo's, Miculeks DVD on Trigger Jobs, another Trigger & Hammer (they do carry them and if they don't go to to Gun Parts Corp. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

and get the Trigger & Hammer).

Go to Walmarts and buy a Dremel with the flexible shaft & a Deluxe Bit Kit .

Go Home and play the metal termite.

Good Luck and Welcome!

thanks psky2s,

Are the trigger and hammer the only parts to order? Do I need a new sear? Maybe the hammer comes with new sear? I will want to not change any of my stock parts so I can reinstall them again if I want. I will order the book and dvd asap and will most likely find the answers there.

Not a good idea to swap the parts between my N-frames ?

thank again

41mag

The hammer will usually not come with the sear installed. Most of the time a new hammer and trigger will drop in and function OK if you switch out your original sear into the new hammer. It's fairly easy to do. These parts tend to be expensive, but there's a parts guy at most of our local gun shows that always seems to have plenty of S&W hammers and triggers of various sizes and conditions in stock for $10 to $20 apiece. You might keep your eyes open and find similar deals in your area. Good luck with the dremel! :)

Personally, I detest smooth triggers on ANY firearm and I had the triggers in my 66 and 625 swapped out for new ones. My 627-4 eight shooter was also polluted with a smooth trigger (these days I think they call that "normal") but the late Art Leckie was able to swap out that MIM trigger and put in an older narrow, grooved carbon steel trigger. It works fine, and I don't think it was particularly hard for him to do it. It's also possible to grind down the width of the trigger, which is what I had done to my 625. All we could find at the time was a wide target trigger and he thinned it down to 0.265". That worked out quite well.

I don't like hammer spurs at all and I cut them off all my "working revolvers," which are those with barrels of 4" or less. That's a very simple thing to do. I never grind off the full cock notches since a spurless hammer can still be cocked for killing deer and other things at long range.

Nobody was willing to install grooves into the trigger of my Redhawk so I had to bite the bullet and do that myself. That worked out quite well, all things considered.

Does anybody know if S&W makes grooved MIM triggers? I thought the Miculek 625 came with one but I'm not sure or if such a part would be offered for sale.

Dave Sinko

The hammer will usually not come with the sear installed. Most of the time a new hammer and trigger will drop in and function OK if you switch out your original sear into the new hammer. It's fairly easy to do. These parts tend to be expensive, but there's a parts guy at most of our local gun shows that always seems to have plenty of S&W hammers and triggers of various sizes and conditions in stock for $10 to $20 apiece. You might keep your eyes open and find similar deals in your area. Good luck with the dremel! :)

If you order a hammer from S&W or from Numrich, it comes complete with sear and stirrup.

I have been very lucky with those I have purchased in that they needed little or no fitting. Triggers come with pins and springs and the grooved trigger is still available through Numrich.

HAMMERSANDTRIGGERS004.jpg

Left is MIM from S&W with sear, Middle is 25-2 from Numrich with all parts, right is narrow flash chrome grooved trigger (Carbon available too) with all parts from Numrich

Part numbers are:

25-2

322760 hammer .400 wide carbon steel

309310 Trigger Assembly, .265 Serrated

309430A Trigger Assembly, .312 Smooth, Blue

309240 Trigger Assembly, .400, Target, Serrated

326990 Trigger Assembly, .400, Target, Smooth*

Flash Chrome triggers

327030 Trigger Assembly, .265 Serrated

309040 Trigger Assembly, .312 Smooth, Stainless

324800 Trigger Assembly, .400 Serrated

320830 Trigger Assembly, .400, Target, Smooth (For Models Produced After April, 1990)

Hope that helps,

The last Hammer I ordered from Brownells came with the sear installed. The Trigger came with the stirrup installed even. If you do get something without all the parts, wait and order the parts missing. Leave the originals alone until you're sure everything works right. It's more expensive but you'll always be able to go back to something, in case of problems.

When I found my 25-2 I use in USPSA/ICORE it had the .500 wide sarrated trigger, and thebig ole hammer. Fortunately for me the thing would skip a cylinder every now and then so I got S&W to pay the shipping and fix that part on them (new stop) while they had it I had them replace all the old springs in it and install a new .400 wide smooth (what I like) trigger and a new hammer too........so I can install the old stuff if it ever has to go away.....and I could butcher up the hammer and have a spare in case I butchered too much. <_< . I asked for all the old springs since they are mine any way (for spares).

That is just another option you may want to look into (plus it requires no mental stress).

Good luck with it, glad you like it.

Get to whipping up on Kyle with it and you might be getting good. ;)

Hopalong

If you order a hammer from S&W or from Numrich, it comes complete with sear and stirrup.

I have been very lucky with those I have purchased in that they needed little or no fitting. Triggers come with pins and springs and the grooved trigger is still available through Numrich.

HAMMERSANDTRIGGERS004.jpg

Left is MIM from S&W with sear, Middle is 25-2 from Numrich with all parts, right is narrow flash chrome grooved trigger (Carbon available too) with all parts from Numrich

Part numbers are:

25-2

322760 hammer .400 wide carbon steel

309310 Trigger Assembly, .265 Serrated

309430A Trigger Assembly, .312 Smooth, Blue

309240 Trigger Assembly, .400, Target, Serrated

326990 Trigger Assembly, .400, Target, Smooth*

Flash Chrome triggers

327030 Trigger Assembly, .265 Serrated

309040 Trigger Assembly, .312 Smooth, Stainless

324800 Trigger Assembly, .400 Serrated

320830 Trigger Assembly, .400, Target, Smooth (For Models Produced After April, 1990)

Hope that helps,

thank you for the great info!

Get to whipping up on Kyle with it and you might be getting good. ;)

Hopalong

I,d be ready for Jerry then would'nt I? :P

thanks everyone for posting,

Well I have resolved the trigger portion at no cost. I took the trigger from my M-10 and installed it in the 25-2. It was a narrow CCH(color case hardened) grooved one that looks right at home on the 25. All I had to do was swap the hands so they remained in the original revolver.

If I bob a CCH trigger the CCH will be lost right? So do I just leave it in the white and polish or apply some sort of finish?

I think the other N frame I have may have the MIM parts, they are silver but not stainless(I think), Would the MIM parts remain the same color/finish after cutting?

Which hammer type after the termite treatment will look best on the 25?

If I swap triggers with out swapping the sears what is the result? I mean ... what will be wrong with the function of the gun? Will it not cycle the action at all, just feel poorly, does it effect both the SA and DA function or just one or the other?

thank you

41mag