Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extensively Lightened Slide Steel Guns

DougCarden

I have one steel gun with a cone comp that I have been using a 9lb recoil spring and a 17lb mainspring. The slide weight is around 10.5 oz. I thought this was the shizzle, and that is the way the smith set it up for 130ish PF loads.

I borrowed a buddy's SS steel gun that has even more weight out of the slide(bushing comp). I shot my 100PF 88gr steel load in it and the gun didnt move, it tracked neutral, and I cut about 5 tenths of my time in some drills.

I of course tried that recoil spring in my gun and WOW, the gun was neutral and flat, incredible. When I asked him what the spring was he told me it was a 5lb Wolff....

I looked over his gun and knowing that he has a Crapload of rounds through the gun I checked the barrel lugs, the slide, etc. Everything is tight.

Of course I have a Wolff spring kit on the way to try in my gun, but how low is too low to keep the barrel from damaging the slide/frame etc. I am thinking about putting a 19lb mainspring to even it out, but I do realize that all I am doing with the recoil spring is bringing the slide forward. Just trying to learn more about this balancing act, so I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

DougC

Edited by DougC

I have one steel gun with a cone comp that I have been using a 9lb recoil spring and a 17lb mainspring. The slide weight is around 10.5 oz. I thought this was the shizzle, and that is the way the smith set it up for 130ish PF loads.

I borrowed a buddy's SS steel gun that has even more weight out of the slide(bushing comp). I shot my 100PF 88gr steel load in it and the gun didnt move, it tracked neutral, and I cut about 5 tenths of my time in some drills.

I of course tried that recoil spring in my gun and WOW, the gun was neutral and flat, incredible. When I asked him what the spring was he told me it was a 5lb Wolff....

I looked over his gun and knowing that he has a Crapload of rounds through the gun I checked the barrel lugs, the slide, etc. Everything is tight.

Of course I have a Wolff spring kit on the way to try in my gun, but how low is too low to keep the barrel from damaging the slide/frame etc. I am thinking about putting a 19lb mainspring to even it out, but I do realize that all I am doing with the recoil spring is bringing the slide forward. Just trying to learn more about this balancing act, so I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

DougC

i've ran a 5lb recoil spring in my steel gun for many years-115 gr going 940 fps. only drawback is you may not have enuf weight to grab a round in a fully charged SS mag...so i used to only load 9 in the mag.