Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Unique Experience

Chmara

Unique has been reformulated and is said to be cleaner. I used to use it in the old days (20 years ago) with success for .45 and .30 Carbine, but have not reloaded in 20 years and my kegs ran out or were sold.

Today I am aiming to load .45 ACP and 9mm Luger with my new (used) SDB and wonder if anyone has had experience with MEASURING the new Unique on a Dillon SDB.

My previous powder measures were all rotary based and did not have the "shearing" procilivity exhibited by the Dillon bar style. Dillon factory said that with the old Unique formula the closest consistancy they heard about was +- .1 grain or a variation of .2 grains between loads.They had NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE NEW UNIQUE -- so I turn here for your collected wisdom.

I am looking to keep my inventory to one powder that is consistant -- gives solid muzzle velocity and burns clean for both rounds -- or should I dream on? Any recommendations???

I am using it in 550's without any problems, still see a tenth or so variation. Unique still works great, and is a little cleaner than it used to be.

What specifically do you want for performance from both calibers and what type of bullets are you using? There might be something that works better depending on what you need. If you are going to shoot lead bullets then skip it all, buy a great big can of Unique and live happily ever after. If jacketed then there might be some options.

Lee, I have an OPINION on it and nothing to back it up.

I think Unique has a cooler burn temp than most other powders. I think this is true because guns don't get hot using it nearly as fast as with other powders, and I don't see the lead deposits on the cylinder of a revolver accumulate nearly as fast as it does with other powders, and lastly it doesn't smoke the bullet lube as bad as other powders. TiteGroup on the other hand is a VERY hot burning powder, it heats up guns very quickly, blows lead deposits all over a revolver, leads barrels and smokes a lot worse.

I had one 45 colt caliber revolver that I loaded several hundred different loads in, over a dozen powders in the testing. Unique won hands down for the least leading overall, nothing else was more accurate, and you could sustain shooting with it longer due to the deposits not building up. I have done similar load tests in 38, 357, 41 and 44 (specials and magnums), and 45 acp.

Unique is just flat awesome with lead bullets, and it works great from light loads all the way up to the top of the data.

I have also -- in the old days -- had the burn cooler feeling with Unique.

I am looking for a general powder with good to excellent accuracy at moderate loads producing about 1150 in 9mm 115 grain and 900 in .45 200 grain. Ideally I would only stock one powder.

Also in the old days -- I used to cast, size etc. way too much work (I still have lino lead around too,( after 20 years.). I would, budget permitting, like to stay with 200 or 230 JHP or FMJ. Budget not permitting I would switch to load-ready lead that would give me the velocities.

Edited by Chmara

For those velocities using jacketed bullets I would look at Clays on the fast end, Power Pistol and Universal in the midrange of burn speed. Clays feels softer than anything else I have used except N310, is clean too.

I've got the new Unique in my 550's powder measure as we type. ;) I use it mainly for .357 Magnum with lead bullets for IDPA loads, but have had good luck with 9x19 too (3.7 grains under a 147 grain LTC). I loaded a bunch of .45 ACP hardball equivalent loads with it and ran over a hundred through my M22-4 S&W revolver with no powder-under-the-extractor-star problems.

I'm sure it's possible to do better for what you want, but it would be easier to do worse.

I am in the same boat you are i have used Unique for .357 and 44mag as well as .30 cal cast bulletts with good luck. Some folks seem to frown on it now or it has been forgotten or replaced by Clays or titegroup for some reason? I have a bunch of it and I am going to give it a go for IPSC in 45 acp and see what happens? To that end i am also going to try 700-x which appears nowhere on any of the Forums for some reason another forgotten powder? :rolleyes: