Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Carbide F/l .223 Vs Lee Steel F/l Die

monkeywrench

I am just getting set up for AR 15 reloading. I was using a Lee F/L .223 steel die to resize before running brass thru my RL550. I am checking the brass with a Wilson chamber gage. Everything is going well, brass looks good when gaging. Then I decide to try my Dillon carbide F/L .223 to resize other brass from the same lot, fired from the same gun. I adjusted the die as per Dillons instructions, touch then back off 1/2 turn. But in the Wilson chamber gage the brass is hanging out on the head end. Before running thru the dies I checked all before in the Wilson gage. They all fit completely inside the gage. I measured the headspace before and after, no problem with the Lee die. The Dillon Die I have almost touching the shell holder and still the brass in the Wilson gage protrudes above the highest step. Measuring the headspace difference before and after thru the Dillon Die the headspace is actually longer, not shorter. I cannot adjust the die any further down. Does this sound crazy? Any thoughts out there?

I have the same issue with the RCBS SB dies. I have to run the die all the way down to teh shell plate on my Redding single stage press and then a 1/2 turn more just to get enough set back to guage on the wilson guage. I have thought about grinding off the bottom of the die on the surface grinder but since it seems to work OK, I've just left it alone.

The only way I've ever been able to make a Dillon die headspace brass correctly was to crash it into the shellplate. I think the only real solution with the carbide Dillon is to grind it down on a surface grinder then rechamfer the entrance. A tool shop that regrinds carbide cutting tools can probably handle the job. I love Dillon, but the way their rifle dies have to be setup is a real mystery to me.

Would suggest setting sizing dies to your chamber (3-4 thou clearance) with a RCBS case mic or similar. Believe the Wilson & similar gages are to minimum specs which is likely less than your chamber resulting in excessive working of your brass & shortened case life, if you are expecting multiple reloadings. I am using a Hornady size die for .223. On your Dillon, you may be able to get sufficient sizing by filing the die body down to the carbide insert. That worked for me on my .40 sizer die.