Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make Improvements/changes At What Skill Level?

builder1

Hello, I am new....to the forum and competitive shooting. In the past, I have trained with weapons as a patrol officer and tactical. Tactical training turned me on to the 1911 .45, and I love to shoot it. I own a couple now and have went to 1 USPSA match. I have shot quiet a bit with a handgun and always shot 98-100% on timed police qual. courses and shot better than most that I have shot against on running tactical courses, but only consider myself an average handgun shooter. Anyway, after this rambling, I just ordered brians book and have started back putting more rounds down range and dry firing, concentrating on grip, presentation, sights, trigger, etc. I was wondering if it is ever too soon to start the drills and tweaking my shooting, or should I just keep putting rounds down range for a while?

Any training input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the help.

Hello, I am new....to the forum and competitive shooting. In the past, I have trained with weapons as a patrol officer and tactical. Tactical training turned me on to the 1911 .45, and I love to shoot it. I own a couple now and have went to 1 USPSA match. I have shot quiet a bit with a handgun and always shot 98-100% on timed police qual. courses and shot better than most that I have shot against on running tactical courses, but only consider myself an average handgun shooter. Anyway, after this rambling, I just ordered brians book and have started back putting more rounds down range and dry firing, concentrating on grip, presentation, sights, trigger, etc. I was wondering if it is ever too soon to start the drills and tweaking my shooting, or should I just keep putting rounds down range for a while?

Any training input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the help.

I'm still fairly new to USPSA myself but the one thing I have found very useful is the Matt Burkett DVD's..I just got done watching volume 7 and so many light bulbs were going off in my head it was crazy. Highly recommended

+1 to what Dan says. One of the things Matt talks about is making a plan when practicing. The how to practice video is a good way to start. It also has some of Steve Anderson's dry fire drills that you can down load. That is a book that should be on your "to get" list as well. Another thing would be a timer. Remember, shooting without a plan is just having fun, shooting with a plan is practice.

If you are like me and have more time to dry fire than to live fire, check out Steve Anderson's book on dry fire practice. Steve's site can be found on the forum under the vendor section.

I can't say enough good things about this fine book. (I have his first book and his second just came out recently.)

Bill

Learn what you can, however you can, and revisit the material often. I've read Brian Enos' book twice, the first time it went over my head, the second time some of the points hit me square in the forehead. Hopefully when I feel like reading it again even more will stick with me.

Having goals really helps me stay motivated, even if they're not lofty.

I'm new to this sport as well, but something that I have found extremely helpful is to set up a tripod and a video camera and record your dryfire practice. It is amazing how much you can correct on your own just by watching yourself from an objective point of view.

PS - Video will be posted soon...not sure if I should put it in my Range Diary or in the "Humor forum" :lol::lol:

<_< Coaching is the most cost efective thing you can do or get. A good coach will teach you how to learn.

I have thought about coaches, but I live in SW Va. Does anyone know if there is such a thing anywhere close?

Thanks for all the help....I will keep reading and building my library, but was curious about the coaches. I know that they are a great benefit through previous experience in combat training. Does anyone know if there are any remotely close to Virginia?

Thanks

I think the most important skill you can work on is self-awareness. In fact, I think that critical self-awareness is about the most important skill in any sport. Allow yourself to become an independent observer of your own activity.