Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm .45 S_i Mags

half inch groups

SV Infinity has them listed so may be in stock. Its been a while since I noticed an update on their site. Site shows they hold 19 rds.

http://www.sviguns.com/store/?indx=7

Checked Brownells and they do not carry .45 x 170 mm STI tubes or magazines. They do have both tubes and mags in stock for .40's

Give Bevin Grams a call if you want to maximize the round count but be prepared for a long wait. (We are talking months.) He does excellent work therefore he stays busy.

HTH

Bill

thanks yoshi and bill! I checked grams, speedshooter, dawson, brownells.... nada. that helps a lot. $127 shipped bare bones! I wasnt looking for the gold plated versions with mother of pearl basepads! lol! Man I dont know what to do here! It might be cheaper to just build a new 9mm top end <_< ... its the finest .45 I ever shot, but It still has a little hop in my hand and I gotta figure I'll get hosed on the reload. not to mention the price of ammo. Any suggestions?

Merlin, that was exactly what I was asking. If you read my post, I asked If I should just replace the whole upper w a 9mm. instead of tinkering w the .45 to make it shoot right and never be able to keep up w higher capacity guns. I'm going to buy or build a new open gun, but I still think I'll get the new upper in 9 to play for now.

I would have to replace the whole upper right? I couldnt just change out barrels/comps and mags to run 9 major, could I?

thanks for your help merlin :)

You need slide, barrel, ejector, firing pin and extractor at a minimum.

+1 YOU DONT WANT TO PAY FOR A USED UPPER THEN END UP WITH A PROBLEM IN:FITTING, ACCURACY. COSMETIC, DESIGN ETC. JUST BUY ALL THE NECESSARY PARTS AND SEND IT TO THE GUNSMITH AND BUILD IT ACCORDING TO YOUR SPECS.....AT LEAST YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANT STRAIGHT UP.... ;);)

guess rob melhorn's getting another call... now I have 2 guns for him 2 work on... the aftec sheared the claw off on my limited gun I got from you 3 days after the link broke.. I feel like I bought a used ferrari! :lol:

i am not sure you may want to contact aftec dont know if they have warranty for their product.

I reviewed what is posted so far and didn't see if your .45 barrel is ramped or not. To shoot 9 Major you will need to go with a ramped barrel.

The only change to the frame, other than cutting the ramp if necessary, will be an ejector change. And switching to a new top end will require fitting the slide to the frame and fitting the new comp to the slide and fitting the new barrel to the slide and then frame.

If a newbie to all this type of fitting, a 9 Major gun may not be the best project for you. Too much pressure involved requiring well fit parts for most shade tree gunsmiths.

See if there is a market for your .45 racer and then see if the extra dollars for a well built 9 major is still in the budget. Better yet, keep the .45 as is for a backup gun. I would keep shooting the .45 and start saving up for the 9 major.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but just one shooter's point of view.

Bill

Cut that chamber a few thous. longer and feed it .460 Rowland ammo and the comp will work just dandy.....but you will still be down 7-9 rounds to a 38/9mm shooter... :huh:;)

Now this is something I need to think about. I've got two .45 Para race guns in the safe that I will otherwise never use. How hot is the .460 Rowland? Would I need a ramped barrel?

This may be my new bowling pin gun.

Now this is something I need to think about. I've got two .45 Para race guns in the safe that I will otherwise never use. How hot is the .460 Rowland? Would I need a ramped barrel?

This may be my new bowling pin gun.

How about a 290+ pf... 200 gr @ 1450+ or 180 @ 1550+.....No ramp needed.

I reviewed what is posted so far and didn't see if your .45 barrel is ramped or not. To shoot 9 Major you will need to go with a ramped barrel.

barrel has nowlin ramp cut..

The only change to the frame, other than cutting the ramp if necessary, will be an ejector change. And switching to a new top end will require fitting the slide to the frame and fitting the new comp to the slide and fitting the new barrel to the slide and then frame.

Instead of changing the whole top end, I can just change out the barrel/comp and ejector?

If a newbie to all this type of fitting, a 9 Major gun may not be the best project for you. Too much pressure involved requiring well fit parts for most shade tree gunsmiths.

I'm not the greatest gunsmith in the world, but I know a few...

See if there is a market for your .45 racer and then see if the extra dollars for a well built 9 major is still in the budget. Better yet, keep the .45 as is for a backup gun. I would keep shooting the .45 and start saving up for the 9 major.

I dont mind shooting it the way it is for now, as I have a caspian widebody .38 super gun, and another .38 super single stack steel gun. I thought the .45 would be a great addition to my arsenal, but after shooting a 9 open gun I just feel like I'm gonna get hosed. it sure is fun though, so I'll probably keep it as a backup and just get a few bigsticks for it to be half way competitive.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but just one shooter's point of view.

it is what I want to hear and thanks for the honesty. This is exactly what I need to hear..

thanks all you guys. much appreciated!

Bill