Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can You See The Bullet?

John Kane

• 2 months later...

Several RO's (including myself) have noticed this same thing over the past couple of weeks (sun angle this time of year?). Unless the powder goes all the way down range to the target. I'm convinced this is the bullet.

I just posted under little things I've noticed so I won't recant the whole story.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry543130

I think an RO has a better chance of seeing it than the shooter especially with a slight angle off the direct LOS. Sun has to be right. Jacketed bullet. and a .45 (large and slow). In my case the flight path was contrasted against hard cover. Wish I had a helmet cam running when it happened!

The photos in this thread are great.

I've seen the flash of Montana Gold bullets going down range many times, watching others shoot. It does seem to happen with multiple shooters firing from the same position with the observer staying put. Makes sense, as far as sun angle goes. I've never seen one of my own slugs go down range except for a few deliberate underpowered near squibs. I've heard that a couple of the old time legendary shooters of the fifties said they could see their shots go down range.

All of the high speed "frozen bullet in flight" pictures are done in a totally dark room or a box which the bullet passes through. The camera shutter is held open and the bullet triggers a timer which sets off the high speed flash when the bullet is in front of the lens. You can do this with a cheap camera, cheap flash and about $20 in electronics.