Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Littlepistol

LittlePistol

2-13-07

New video has been uploaded My YouTube Page

Feel free to comment! :D

Comments?

One thing that I noticed on your reloads is your grip on the magazine.

When I watched, your fastest reloads were when you had a higher grip on the mag (Reload video at :04, :26, :36, :40) Burkett and others talk about running your index finger up the front of the mag so your finger tip is just touching the front of the bullet in the magazine. Using that grip, when you go to reload you are pointing your finger (on the mag) to the direction of where you want it to go. The end result is that the mag is much more stable on its very short and quick flight from the belt to the gun.

When you palm the mag and try to stuff it in the gun all of your pressure is on the bottom of the mag and it is harder to control as you reload, as the mag tends to sway left and right (reload at :07, :014).

The other thing I noticed is the overall plane of the pistol when you hit the mag release button. A few times the magazine you released just slid a bit and stopped, where you then had to strip out before you stuffed your reload. This was due to the angle of the pistol was canted closer to 90 degrees as you were prepping to stuff the next mag in (reload :13, :36) If you can keep the gun closer to 0 degrees (more vertical) when you adjust your grip to hit the mag release, the mags should FALL out clean, allowing you clearance for a smokin' fast reload.

All in all, keep up the good work and welcome to the forum.

- Maineshootah

Make sure you join us the 3rd of March in Las Cruces. Bring that little turd Kevin S. along too.

Will do... :D

Will you be joining us in Alamo this Sunday?

Will be there. I need to keep shooting my Open gun. Just got my A card to match my Limited A card.

Cool...heard they may be a weather concern? I am out of town right now, but will be back in Deming Friday.

Also, I had a brain-fart when I said I would be in LC on the 3rd. I will acctually be in ABQ for National Guard duty that weekend, so I'll miss the LC shoot. Sorry bout that! <_<

Edited to add...

BTW - Congrats on your A card! :)

Edited by LittlePistol

2-25-07

Third USPSA Match - Alamogordo, NM

WOW - Talk about cool stages!! High round counts and much running about! :D Once again, I am borrowing equipment because my STI isn't here yet... :( Planned on shooting L10 and Limited with my little SS. Borrowed some 10 rounders from a buddy after I saw that the round count for the first stage was 28 - Yikes!

Round 1, Stage 1 - Start in the box with hands above shoulders, upon signal, run to shooting box, engage 5 paper targets. Run and hop up on "bench thing" that wasn't exactly stable and engage 6 PPs and Activater for TS. Run through saloon doors, stop at the stick and engage TS. Run over to hard cover, engage 3 more paper targets from around the wall. LOL This would have been great fun if my gun would've ran! Turned in 83 seconds on this one. Bang, bang, @#%^...bang, @#$%...bang, bang, @#$#!!! That about summed up my first 4 stages! :angry:

Lesson Learned: It is really hard to shoot well when your gun won't run! <_<

R1, S2 - Start with loaded gun on the table, shooter seated in chair. Upon signal, get gun and engage TS (yeah, another one - two in one match...isn't that illegal or something, LOL), 4 paper taragets from around the left side of hard cover, run across shooting box and engage 4 paper from around the right side of hard cover. An 81 second time here. I reiterate...Bang, bang, @#%^...bang, @#$%...bang, bang, @#$#, @#$%!!!

Lesson Learned: My gun really doesn't like McCormick mags!! :angry:

R1, S3 - Classifier Golden something-or-other...I'll edit later when I figure out which one it was...again see above...@#$%! Didn't even look at the time here.

R1, S4 - Stand in the box and engage 10 PPs and 12 paper. I think my time here was around 80 or 90 seconds. Ready to call it a day at this point - It's no fun playing with a broken gun.

Another shooter let me borrow his Limited gun so I could finish the match. :D

R2, S1 - Shot much better here. I finished this one up in 59 seconds.

Lesson Learned: Life is good when you're shooting a gun that works. :)

R2, S2 - Again, I shot much better. I finally relaxed since I now trust the gun I am shooting. I started focusing on my sights and shot respectably.

R2, S3 - Classifiers...sheesh! Winged a couple of shots and ended up with a couple of Mikes. All of my other shots were well placed, but I need to work on Stronghand/Weakhand shooting.

Lesson Learned: Practice dry and live fire with stronghand and weakhand. My balance is off and I tend to let the gun "flop" around when firing, which makes it hard to reaquire the sights.

R2, S4 - I had a beautiful run. I was watching my sights and the gun just seemed to "flow" from one target to the next. Kind of like that little bouncy ball that bounces over the words to the tune of the music. Everytime the gun would cycle, the sights would fall right on to the next target. At one point I caught myself thinking "wow, I'm shooting this pretty fast" and immediately stopped thinking after I missed a PP. I paused and refocused and hit all of my remaining targets. Turned in a 28 second run with a 3.98HF (my best to date). It was a great end to a pretty crappy day.

Lessons Learned:

1. I really like the Dawson red FO front sight. It makes the sight picture much easier to see, and allows me to get into a "rythem."

2. Don't think while shooting. Although I was able to correct this action immediately, it caused me to have to make 2 extra shots because I allowed my attention to lapse.

3. Getting into a rythem feels really good. Although 28 seconds isn't a blazing time, I was seeing what I needed to see and am continuing to figure out what "attention and focus" means. Now if I could only figure out how to get there without having to shoot like crap first.

FTR - Shot my gun after the match with my Wilson mags and the gun ran beautifully. I was told this was normal and it was okay for my gun not to like some magazines.

Hey LP,

I was very proud of the way you shot today, even with the gun problems that you had. It was really neat watching you with the second gun. (Especially since that was the first time you had ever used that one.) Keep it up, Learn all you can, Then learn some more, In a short time you will be moving up into the next class, See Ya

Thanks wheel_gunner. ;) I just saw my scores from the Alamo match. Glad to see that, while un-forseen equipment issues are killing my times <_< (I hate Murphy), my accuracy and points seem to be improving. :D I'm gonna miss shooting with you guys while I am away! See you in El Paso next weekend!

Okay, on to the Range reporting:

3-1-07

Went out for a little livefire practice today with my buddy. We only took the .22 and worked on accuracy and speed. I figured out that I am tensing up my hands and this is preventing me from manipulating the trigger as fast as I need to. We also worked on movents and transitions around barriers. My movements are awkward and a bit clumsy. We also worked on strong/weak hand shooting (at a 100yd target I might add...) and I acctually hit it! :D I learned another new game - golfing with a .22. That's one thing that is acctually harder than it sounds! Anyway, all-in-all, it was a great practice. A lot of fun and yet more things identified that I need to work on. :blink:

3-3-07

Was supposed to have a match today, but gale-force winds kept blowing down the targets. :angry: Went to Sportsman's Warehouse and lunch instead. :D

I ended up getting to ABQ early on account of the failed match plans and went to the indoor range. Will post pictures of the targets later. Worked on my draw-first shot, watching my sights, and really paid attention to where my sights were falling after each shot. I learned that I can find my sight picture, maintain it and shoot accurately much faster than I think. I worked on expanding some of the things I learned at .22 practice - to include transitions from one spot on the target to another (I still need to work on this), shooting accurately while shooting quickly and strong/weak hand shooting.

It was a pretty good practice, but unfortunately, I am stuck practicing by myself, I can't set up a camera in there, and there are so many people shooting that a timer is almost usless (I say almost, because the par function is still somewhat useful as long as 8 people don't blast away all at once). One of these days I'm going to get around to video-taping some of our practices. (hint, hint - what do you think - maybe? ;) ).

Edited by LittlePistol

Okay...as promised, here are the pictures of targets:

post-10428-1173158006.jpg

post-10428-1173158068.jpg

3-5-07

What started off as reload practice quickly turned into a lesson in patience.

Began with a par time of 2.5 seconds. This kicked my butt, so I bumped it up to 3. That was too easy, so I settled at 2.8. I kept fumbling my reloads, couldn't make my par time and started to get really frustrated. I took off my belt, sat down and took a break for about 10 minutes. Got back to my practice and managed to beat my 2.8 second par. Accomplishing that goal made me determined to continue. Dropped my par down to 2.7, beat that one consistantly for a while. Reloads were getting smoother and my confidence improved. I dropped my par one more time - down to 2.6 and practiced getting my reloads under that time. I stopped practice there, deciding to end on a positive note.

Tomorrow's goal: Start with par at 2.7 and work down to 2.5 seconds.

Here's the video link - feel free to comment.

My video link

3-7-07

Worked on my draws and reloads last night. I got my draw down to a 1.6 second par and my reloads down to my targeted 2.5 second par. Then I put them together for a draw, 1 shot, reload, 1 shot series with a par time of 4.2 seconds. Had a little fun putting the video together.

New goals are:

Draw - 1.4 seconds

Reload - 2.3 seconds

D,1,R,1 - 4 seconds

Here's the video link ;)

looks to be some wasted motion there - note how the pistol drops and then comes back up. I'd bet if you can eliminate that extra step you'd shave some more tenths off ....

Keep goin', that's the important thing.

Edited by Catfish

Get your weakhand up higher on your stomach as your right hand is grabbing the gun. Make that your push out point. Go for the bottom of the sternum.. At that point, see your front sight as you push out.

You are scooping the gun as you draw and index. the gun comes up, down, then up again as you are pushing out. Keep your upper torso still, don't move your back sideways as you reach for the gun. If you focus on staying upright and your head still, then the rest will flow easily.

We'll discuss reloads later.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've been out for a while as this military school has been kicking my butt on a daily basis, but I plan on working on some dryfire tonight and getting ready for a match on Saturday. Depending on how much homework I have tonight, I'll put my dryfire on video and maybe even get around to posting some pictures of the new blaster. More to come later...

Glad to see your back, thought you had givin up the diary thing. I know how those military schools can be, long and boreing. When I worked flight line on F-4's (look in the history books) during Ronnies era we used to get in some wicked water fights with the firefighters. They always won... bigger hoses...no pun intended...nice way to cool off. :P