Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Littlepistol

LittlePistol

Okay, here goes...warning: I ramble. Read at your own risk!

1-28-07: Second USPSA match - Special Classifier, Alamogordo, NM

Weather was good. Planned (important word) on shooting my Open gun on the first round and borrowing my buddy's gun to shoot L10 on the second round (we are playing "I shoot this one first round and you shoot it second round," as I am still waiting for my STI to get here! sniff, sniff).

Round 1, Stage 1 - My optics on my Open gun decided that they only wanted to work every 4th shot, so I shot 3/4 of my first stage "blind." This sucks BTW! :angry:

R1, S2 - Borrowed an L10 gun to shoot with for the rest of R1 and was warned that it "shoots a little low." Apparently his version of "a little low" is different than mine. I killed 5 hostages, shot 2 or 3 mikes and zeroed the stage. :angry:

R1, S3 - Figured out what "a little low" means, kept a postitive attitude and shot great on S3.

Lesson learned: Keep a positive attitude and you WILL shoot better on the next stage - even if "the next stage" ends up being 2 or 3 stages later! :D

R1, S4 - Shot decent - ready for R1 to be over!!! :wacko:

Round 2, Stage 1 - With my 3rd gun for the day :( I shot okay. Wasn't "driving" the gun and liked to have gotten knocked on my butt by the recoil (.45ACP kicks a bit when you lean back instead of forward!)

Lesson Learned:

1. Lean forward and "drive" the gun.

R2, S2 - "Fixed" driving problem. Leaned in, felt better. However, I "winged" the heck out of way too many shots, killed hostages, had mikes.

Lessons Learned:

1. Don't sqeeze gun so tight. This makes you wing shots (and kill hostages!).

2. Buddy's custom reloaded ammo makes gun run smoother than factory .45ACP.

R2, S3 - Saw my sights for the first time!!! Very cool! Shot okay. Was so excited about seeing my sights that I forgot to look at targets! :lol:

Lesson Learned: Front sight is not rising out of the rear sights. Instead, whole muzzle is making loop-de-loop.

Question: What causes this and how do I fix it?

R2, S4 - Ready for match to be over, but keeping positive attitude. I WILL finish this match good! Shot better than I did all day. :D Got points (4 steel, all AA or AC), "drove" well, watched sights and target.

Lesson Learned: "Bad" day at range is better than a good day anywhere else. Keeping a positive attitude will make that one great stage stay with you.

After match lesson - Learned a new grip technique (shot 4 rounds from 7 yards). Made a huge difference! Winged the first one because it felt wierd, but put the next 3 rounds in the Alpha within 1.5" of each other!!! :D Very happy with new grip. Must practice it!

Hey there, come on in, the water's fine! ;)

Would you happen to know Kevin S? He lives in Deming as well and shoots a bunch. Hook up with Kevin and he'll steer you in the right direction.

:lol::D He's the one that got me addicted to this sport in the first place!!! :D:lol:

Find the guys that whoop your ass week in and week out, find a way to shoot with them each match and ask them for help. Be humble, listen when they talk, try what they advise even it it sounds all wrong to see if it really is all wrong and above all listen!! Doing this and having really good shooters become shooting coaches that then become friends has taken me from U to the cusp of A in one year. Both of the guys that have really helped me post here, one as 'squishy' and the other as 'three glock Mike'. These two guys are as much responsible for my improvement as I am, there is no substitute for competent help/instruction. If you are willing to learn from the mistakes of others there is a short path, if you need to screw it up yourself to prove it is the wrong way you can still have great success, but probably not at the same pace. I could be a good bit further ahead, but some things I have been determined to screw up myself before learning from them, I guess I have been blending the approaches.

1-29-07

Did a little dryfire - mostly just screwing off, but I finally "realized" how to focus. I thought I knew how to transition from one target to another (I've had it explained, and explained well), but when I actually did it, I realized that knowing how to do something is much different than being able to do it. Once I quit trying to see my sight picture (i.e. just picked up a gun and aimed it), was when I finally saw it.

Lessons Learned:

1. Knowing something is different than understanding it.

2. Listen to the people who know what they are talking about and pay attention. Store their advice and keep it with you - this is good. But until you relax, quit trying so hard and let your body react to the knowledge you have gathered, you'll never really get it.

2-1-07

I got a Kydex holster and did some dryfire draw practice. Finally got the video camera set up and taped some of it. Actually sitting down and watching myself draw, I was able to spot inconsistancies. Great tool. I was also able to watch my draws become more and more consistant.

If anyone is interested, here's the link:

Okay all...stupid link isn't working...I am attempting to correct this. :angry: Stupid internet!

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

Maybe you did it right and we just need to wait 30 minutes before going swimming?

LP,

It's working for me now. When the timer goes off in your mind, begin moving your weak hand at the same time you're reaching for the pistol. It'll save you some time, I bring it to my stomach and then meet up with the pistol as it's moving toward the target.

Looks good!

Like pickles said - bring your two hands together, somewhere's around the ole belly. Some folks do it a bit higher and some a tad to one side or the other. Find what works for you.

Once your hands are together, bring the gun up towards your chin first, then out towards the target. For me, this lets me find the front sight a lot sooner than throwing the pistol out there.

Your thumbs should be closer together, with no gap between them.

Keep it up, you have some great hand speed, just a matter of refinement. Have that big oaf Kevin help you with your grip; he is good for some things! :P

Looks good!

Like pickles said - bring your two hands together, somewhere's around the ole belly. Some folks do it a bit higher and some a tad to one side or the other. Find what works for you.

Once your hands are together, bring the gun up towards your chin first, then out towards the target. For me, this lets me find the front sight a lot sooner than throwing the pistol out there.

Your thumbs should be closer together, with no gap between them.

Keep it up, you have some great hand speed, just a matter of refinement. Have that big oaf Kevin help you with your grip; he is good for some things! :P

I'll be sure to do that...as soon as I get back home! Right now I am 250 or so miles from Deming, so I'm stuck practicing on my own for the next 3 weeks and hoping I don't practice "wrong!" :D

2-5-07

Went to an indoor range last night and blasted the crap out of a piece of paper (think sights are a little off...all shots are a hair to the left...could just be me though. <_< Made me feel better! :D

Went back to my little "cave" and worked on my draw some more. I was tired and cranky so it took longer to calm down than it did to smooth out my technique, but I think I'm finally starting to get it.

New video posted.

My "YouTube" Page

Okay - think I have video fixed and uploaded properly now... <_<

post-10428-1170701186.jpg

Edited by LittlePistol

Heya Little Pistol,

I've watched both of your videos and I see improvement from first to second. Your stance is now a bit more aggressive...which is good. It's hard to imagine recoil while you're dry firing unless you have many hours on the range. BTW, when you're on the range, work on 1 thing at a time and remember what you learned so that the dry firing exercise is not wasted.

Your speed in drawing and presentation looks fast but needs more "smooth" and deliberation.

The one thing I've noticed about your grip is your left thumb does have not a "place" to rest. It must have a place that it rests on every time you draw. Find that place and put it there every time you establish your grip.

When I learned to shoot my single stack style gun (too many years ago to mention) I trained my left thumb to sit on the extended slide stop. It took many iterations before it would behave on its own but now it seems natural. When I got my new open gun I had to find that spot all over again but the original training paid off and now this seems natural also.

Keep up the good work, be diligent and become consistent. You're off to a good start.

~Nanci~

2-13-07

Worked on my reloads with my SS-Style gun (no magwell). I have been really crunched for time lately, so I am sneaking in 15-30 minutes of practice at least once (twice if I can manage) a day.

New video has been uploaded My YouTube Page

Feel free to comment! :D

Edited to add...

LadyinBlue,

I tried to incorparate my draw and reloads on this practice. I was trying to think about where my thumb is sitting, and due to a "big gun, small hands" problem, I couldn't get my thumb to rest on the slide stop. Instead, it sits on my fingers just below the slide stop. Not sure if this is exactly "proper," but it is comfortable and after watching myself (in video), it seems to be fairly consistent.

Comments?

Edited by LittlePistol

Hey LP,

I just checked on your new video...kinda weird looking down the barrel of the gun...it's only a movie, it's only a movie. lol

I tried to focus on your thumbs as that was the part we had discussed earlier. A right handed shooter will have their right thumb on the grip safety (only release safety after you clear leather of course).

I have seen the left thumb ride on top of the right thumb, park on top of the extended slide stop, or just run parallel to the right thumb and find a spot to stop at. This part of your grip is important to develop early because once you find your grip it's hard to change it.

Did your new gun show up yet? When you have your new gun, your grip may change again. You mentioned short fingers but I don't that at all. Your fingers appear to wrap around the grip with plenty of left-overs.

Hope you're able to make it up to Albuquerque on Saturday(2-17) for the match. See ya then. :)

Hey LP,

I just checked on your new video...kinda weird looking down the barrel of the gun...it's only a movie, it's only a movie. lol

That barrel sure does look bigger from that angle doesn't it? Tripped me out the first time I watched it! :ph34r:

Unfortunately, I am not "seeing" what you are talking about...maybe I need to slow down and pay more attention to exactly where my thumbs are when I pick up my gun as opposed to trying to figure it out while I am drawing. Imagine that, an IPSC shooter needing to slow down! We don't have this problem, do we? :D

I'll be home this weekend (have to work Saturday so I won't make the match :( ) and I'll be shooting with my buddy on Sunday, so I'll see if he can help me out with this whole grip thing. Even after my new gun gets here, my little SS will be my back-up, and it is also my duty gun.

As far as the "small hands" thing, I wasn't refering so much to my grip as the fact that I can't hit the mag release. You'll notice that I have to "flip" the gun so to speak before my mag falls. Sorry if I changed subjects on you mid post! I do that. <_<

Once financing is more available, I may look at developing a lighter load for it. Right now I am using factory ammo, and not only is it expensive, but my SS is a Colt Lightweight Commander (4 1/4" barrel) and with a heavy spring and heavy ammo, she "bucks" just a little bit!

I talked to the nice folks at Dawson yesterday, and my new gun is being worked on as we speak. They said it should be ready to ship early next week! :D Pictures will be posted! :wub:

Hey LP,

That barrel sure does look bigger from that angle doesn't it? Tripped me out the first time I watched it! :ph34r:

As far as the "small hands" thing, I wasn't refering so much to my grip as the fact that I can't hit the mag release. You'll notice that I have to "flip" the gun so to speak before my mag falls. Sorry if I changed subjects on you mid post! I do that. <_<

Hey LP,

Many people have that problem where they can't reach the mag release without rotating the gun thereby loosing their grip and having to re-acquire their grip again. This can also cause the shooter to nearly exceed the 180 degree safe line by pointing the muzzle up and over their shoulder. Not saying that you did this but I've seen this happen to others.

I have an extended mag release on my STI Trubore that I'm sure many other shooters have also and find helpful. If Dawson is working on your new gun, this add-on would be worth the extra cost. Some people don't use them because they inadvertantly drop the magazine with their left hand while gripping the gun. Just ask my husband. :)

2-18-07

Today was a great day! I finally got some live fire in (in the form of a little local wingding) and I had a blast! It was a combination pistol/shotgun match - incidentally my first shotgun match - and I finished 6th (of 14) overall.

Basic rules of the day (due to no divisions and to make it fair and fun for all):

6+1 on start and 6 rounds only per mag for all pistols.

4+1 on the start for all shotguns.

The first stage was a cool one...if not a little confusing. ;) Stand in shooting box, engage T1-T3 with 2 shots each with pistol. Next, engage PP1-PP3 (off-set behind paper targets) and head shots (1ea) on T1-T3 with pistol. Switch to shotgun and engage PP4-PP6 (located behind PP1-PP3) and Clay Pidgeons 1-3 (located behind PP4-PP6). I shot well, completing it in 35 seconds.

Lesson Learned:

Dryfire rules! After being restricted to dryfire only for several weeks, I didn't expect to be near as smooth or comfortable as I felt. I drew without thinking (except for just a fleeting second about the danged thumb safety :) ). My reload felt so smooth, I barely remember doing it. I saw my sights, I saw the holes left in the paper. Granted I didn't set any land-speed records, but I was seeing what I wanted to and am starting to get the hang of the whole "awareness and focus" thing. I got my book the other day. Thanks Brian!!

The second stage was a shotgun "jungle run." This was new to me and felt really awkward. I shot it fairly well considering my lack of experience with a shotgun. Start out by engaging the first clay from the starting position. After that, engage the other 9 on the move, stopping, shooting and reloading as nessessary. I finished this one in a "blazing" 44 seconds. B)

Lesson Learned:

I am probably not an aspiring 3-gunner! ;) However, shotguns are fun. Upon gathering some corrective criticism, I learned that I am very indecisive, I constantly pull the shotgun down and bring it back up, and my reloads are shaky at best. Basically, much more range-time is needed with the shotgun.

The last stage was a "shooter's choice." Twelve steel knock-down plates to be engaged through a window with pistol, shotgun or combination of either one. I opted (as most did) to start with the shotgun, engage the first 5 with it and then switch to my pistol. I did great with the shotgun (hit all 5 quickly), switched to my pistol and engaged my brain! I took 4 or 5 shots more than were nessessary to knock down my remaining 7 plates. Turned in a (slighly embarrassing) 32 second time on that one.

Lesson Learned:

I really hate those plates! <_< Seriously though, I have got to figure out what is limiting my performance on that particular target. I will work on it some more and post progress.

Anyway, I am back in Socorro (away from home :( ), thus giving me more time for dryfire practice! Will post video later this week.