Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Reloads On A 550b

BullF-16

Just purchased a DPMS in .308 and would like to reload using my 550b press. I have loaded for various rifle calibers in the past but only on a single stage press. Is the 550 a viable option for loading .308. Do not have dies or caliber conversion. What dies are recommended or will lee dies suffice. Currently load for numerous pistol calibers on the 550b but not quite sure where to start for loading the 308. Any help would be appreciated

550 will load 308 just fine.

There are 2 schools of thought on rifle loading for progressive presses.

The first is load just like pistol. Size/deprime, prime, powder, bullet - done. This is OK if you are using new brass or perhaps once fired factory that was fired in your gun.

The other is to buy processed cases that have already be resized. You could also do your own case prep on a single stage press. The advantage to this is that the cases get a more complete treatment including case mouth chamfer, trim to length & primer pocket uniforming.

On a 550, I'd reccomend using processed cases. Prime them, drop powder, seat bullet and be done.

If you buy processed cases, you will just need a seatring die and taper crimp die as well as the caliber conversion.

...On a 550, I'd reccomend using processed cases. Prime them, drop powder, seat bullet and be done...If you buy processed cases, you will just need a seatring die and taper crimp die as well as the caliber conversion...

You may also want to consider a neck-sizer (sans decapping pin) in the first station - I've found that "processed" brass can be spotty as to neck sizing (not to mention the not-infrequent ding or dent), and there's nothing quite as frustrating as loading up a bunch of rounds only to find out that you can push the bullet into the case with finger pressure... YMMV...

I use my 550b to reload 308 for my Palma gun all the time. I am currently FL resizing after tumbling and then back in to prime, charge, seat, and crimp. I am using Dillon dies for crimp and resizing and a redding competition seater for seating since I sometimes change bullets heads. They seem to work fine for work out to 1000 yrds. David Tubb uses a 550 to load his ammo, though he has done a littel work to it.

Adam

Edited by galt11

• 1 month later...

I have reloaded for all my rifles on the 550B from day 1.

7mm Mag

30-06

.300 Weatherby Mag

.44 Mag

All the same process and FWIW it's the way I do it.

I deprime with a universal depriming die on station 1 and remove.

Burnish or hone neck insides with a stand I made from a cordless drill and special honing tools I made which I think makes the neck tension more consistant.

Power clean primer pockets on the same machine using a RCBS primer tool.

Tumble

Neck size the bottle necks and belted, full size the .44 , reprime, drop powder charge 1/2 grain short on the 550B remove at station #2. ( most are charged with a tubular powder that doesn't work well in a powder measure.)

Trickle to charge off the press.

Seat back on the 550B using a Redding Comp seating die.

I don't crimp any of them except the lever gun.

Most people think it's all a big waste of time but my guns shoot better than most and if it even makes me think I can shoot closer groups it's worth the time.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...