Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You sent the check, and application in 4 months ago.  The Match is 3 weeks away, and they finally sent you the booklet.

The schedule does not look good.  You hate to shoot in the dark.  The stages really stink.  You have no interest in shooting them.

What will you do.  What willll you doooo.

I would shoot it, if shooting when the light is low bothers you then you should shoot like that untill it doesn't. Or you can shoot it in a different divison for fun if you have another blaster. Being so close to the match date if you ask for a refund you probably won't get your full fee back , so you might aswell shoot the match and enjoy the experience  how ever you can.  

Hey turbo turtle, don't be so negative, shooting is the most fun one can have with their clothes on(at least that's how I feel).

Just shoot it and have fun as you may suprise yourself and do really well, but the negativity will never help...

Rich, you are a rare breed in the modern world, you are an IPSC shooter...

Hold your head high, shoot this $h1t out of the stages and take no prisoners(and shoot no hostages...hehe).

You only have 1 day at a time, make the most of it and any negativity only cuts down on the fun factor...

Turn this into a what I like thing...

runs with scissors

You can't really judge how a match will be just by paperwork.

I am reminded of the MI State IDPA match this year. Reading it, there were no shots over 15 yards, the match was split between 2 ranges that were 15 minutes apart, the club itself was notorious for having courses with as little as 2 rounds in a 4 stage match, etc...

It turned out to be a pretty good match and a lot of fun. I was really thinking about skipping it, but I'm glad I went through with it. I'd suggest you go, worst comes to worst, it's just more experience. Let us know how it is if you go.

Jake

I've yet to see a stage that looks anything like the match book. I've looked at some stages in the book and thought you got to be kidding what moron designed this, went to the match and found that it was one of the best stages for the match. Everybody else in the match has to shoot the same stages and same general conditions so who cares go shoot and have fun.

The question is mostly hypothetical.  I was thinking of a few years back. One match I should have passed on, and another I managed to avoid.

There are a couple of places I won't go until I have good reason to believe they have got thier heads on straight.  I don't like having fewer Matches to choose from.  They don't know why I don't go.  I know I am not helping, only trying to handle the problem.

At what point do you comunicate to the staff your opinions?

Rich,

You may have answered your own question (the real one not the hypothetical one). If the people running the match have their heads on right they want to know what the shooters think.

I've worked a couple of big matches (scorekeeping) and all the match directors and other officials I've worked with were very interested in hearing how the shooters felt about the match. If there's any problem they (we) want to hear it. That's probably why those were all real successful matches (at least from the shooters viewpoint).

If the match directors don't care what the shooters think - you probably can't make much difference. But if you don't tell them it's for certain they can't fix the problems.

I'd say go shoot the match. If there are problems explain them to the match officials (politely and clearly). Give them a chance to fix the problems.

Cheers,