Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spent Rounds As "snap Caps"

thejoe

I'm not new to shooting and was always told that if you're going to dry fire your weapon it's best to have a spent round in the chamber so as to reduce stress on the firing pin and firing mechanism. Is this a myth or legit? I've recently been doing much more dry fire practice with my snap caps but, as I only have five and they're a little spendy (that tells you what kind of a budget I'm on currently ;) ) I was hoping to be able to substitute spent rounds for caps in order to get longer strings of good dry fire practice.

joe

I'm not new to shooting and was always told that if you're going to dry fire your weapon it's best to have a spent round in the chamber so as to reduce stress on the firing pin and firing mechanism. Is this a myth or legit? I've recently been doing much more dry fire practice with my snap caps but, as I only have five and they're a little spendy (that tells you what kind of a budget I'm on currently ;) ) I was hoping to be able to substitute spent rounds for caps in order to get longer strings of good dry fire practice.

joe

Myth-------BUSTED

Dry fire will not damage any modern firearm in serviceable shape (rimfire guns excluded).

If it is a revolver you should use a snap cap.

Myth-------BUSTED

Dry fire will not damage any modern firearm in serviceable shape (rimfire guns excluded).

Um, I have many broken striker retension pins from XD's. I don't think they break on their own. ;) The one common denominator is LOTS of dry fire.

Spent rounds are not the same as a good snap cap.

There is a safety issue you might mistake a live rd for your spent one and boom.

Its a sure myth as I have millions of cycles on 1911's, still waiting for one to break.

Now I believe I would use one with a striker fired gun such as a XD or M&P with many reports of broken strikers after mucho dryfiring.

There is a safety issue you might mistake a live rd for your spent one and boom.

Its a sure myth as I have millions of cycles on 1911's, still waiting for one to break.

Now I believe I would use one with a striker fired gun such as a XD or M&P with many reports of broken strikers after mucho dryfiring.

In fact...doesn't S&W strongly suggest the use of a snap cap when dryfiring their M&P?

The reality is that you will not damage anything by using a snap cap...I'd suggest A-ZOOM...hell...if you need several in 9mm, give my your address and I'll mail you some on my dollar!