Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lessons Of Attention

benos

Waiting to walk across a busy intersection, I "got the man," checked traffic in every direction, and stepped into the crosswalk - remaining aware of all the cars nearby. Especially the one making a left turn, slowly coming toward me. It slowed down... Aware of no other threats, my attention pulled in and I started thinking about something. Suddenly I realize the "left turn" car is coming right at me and I jump to the side, avoiding the car as it cruises past.

The first thing I remember was anger. As I was in the air I stuck both hands out to the side and gave the driver a "WTF!?" look. Wake up! - I said to myself (to the driver). The next thought - "Never slack off, even for an instant." By the time I was out of the intersection I was walking along, not thinking, paying attention again.

Later I realized my outwardly directed "Wake up!" was an admonition to myself.

Four things spontaneously occurred: Response, reaction, reflection, correction.

It started with pure response - I got out of the way. Like a lightening bolt, anger - "WTF!?" - was there; before I even hit the ground. Comprehending the uselessness of anger in that situation, in a few seconds, my attention returned to me... "Never slack off, even for an instant." It's all me.

be

So tonight I'm crossing that very same intersection, I'm almost to the sidewalk, as I notice an SUV in the right lane, that's kind of slowing down, looking like it's going to stop. But it doesn't. The bumper is but a foot from my leg... and I somehow managed to get out of the way probably faster than could have been witnessed. I look at the driver as the car cruise right past where I was, and she's not even looking anywhere near she's going. I should have looked at the driver as soon as I noticed that the car was still moving. I normally would have...

be

Waiting to walk across a busy intersection, I "got the man," checked traffic in every direction, and stepped into the crosswalk - remaining aware of all the cars nearby. Especially the one making a left turn, slowly coming toward me. It slowed down... Aware of no other threats, my attention pulled in and I started thinking about something. Suddenly I realize the "left turn" car is coming right at me and I jump to the side, avoiding the car as it cruises past.

The first thing I remember was anger. As I was in the air I stuck both hands out to the side and gave the driver a "WTF!?" look. Wake up! - I said to myself (to the driver). The next thought - "Never slack off, even for an instant." By the time I was out of the intersection I was walking along, not thinking, paying attention again.

It started with pure response - I got out of the way. Like a lightening bolt, anger - "WTF!?" - was there; before I even hit the ground. Comprehending the uselessness of anger in that situation, in a few seconds, my attention returned to me... "Never slack off, even for an instant." It's all me.

be

So tonight I'm crossing that very same intersection, I'm almost to the sidewalk, as I notice an SUV in the right lane, that's kind of slowing down, looking like it's going to stop. But it doesn't. The bumper is but a foot from my leg... and I somehow managed to get out of the way probably faster than could have been witnessed. I look at the driver as the car cruise right past where I was, and she's not even looking anywhere near she's going. I should have looked at the driver as soon as I noticed that the car was still moving. I normally would have...

be

I'm glad that you are safe.

I had a simmilar visual expirience years ago. My mother had just droped me off at highschool. and I was walking towards the main building when a toyota truck caught my attention. The driver looked frantic and the truck was fishtailing. It was about 50 feet behind my mothers car heading in the same direction. I remember thinking "he's going to hit my mothers car" As his car fishtailed wider he must of hit the gas instead of the breaks and he slammed right into the side of my mothers car. It was a stange thing seeing the vehicles colied.

• 4 years later...

be

be

I was sitting on the park bench with a cold one. I had finished practicing archery.

A gentle breeze was blowing. I could hear twanging bowstrings and thunks as arrows hit targets. It was peaceful, almost dream like. I heard a honk in the distance. People were arriving to shoot. I heard another honk, but closer. An archer was getting his equipment out in front of me. I heard another honk right above me.

I looked up and saw a perfect “V” formation flight of seven Canadian Geese.

They were just over the treetops and I could hear the flap of their wings. I said “Wow” loudly and was spellbound as I watched them fly.

In a lot of places the sight of these Geese is not unusual, but in Long Beach, California, we don’t see that everyday. The archer glanced upward and continued to pull equipment out. His mind was occupied on his upcoming practice. Fumbling with all his gear, he rushed off to the targets. His tunnel vision\thoughts kept him from appreciating the rare beautiful moment that had passed before him.

These quotes came to mind:

“Zen is everywhere…Zen is right here”

Shunryu Suzuki

+1 “The average man only pays attention when he deems it necessary,

whereas the warrior pays attention at all times.”

Carlos Castenada

“With your spirit settled, accumulate practice, day by day and hour by hour”

Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks for posting that beautiful story David.

And I'm a big fan of that Castenada quote.

Whenever you notice you are not enjoying the silent perfection of the present moment, allow yourself to do so.

be

• 2 weeks later...

BE: That's exactly how you needed to react.

WTF is common reaction. Both for someone endangering you, and also for basically doing something unexpected. Appropriate, but also a strong distraction as well.

You should try to keep your 'vision'/awareness wide-open, but don't let the self-admonition cause frustration, just let that soak in too. Your self-admonition was exactly what you needed too :P

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, I had a full WEEK of resentment last week and it nearly ate me alive. I couldn't concentrate on anything, let along pay "attention" to proper things. Boy, was I miserable. It interfered with everything (even though it was legally and ethically justified resentment) and caused distortions of perception that even I could see (thanks to a shred of detachment) while it was all happening. Let's just say I could've killed someone in anger had I not the personal control that I tend to have each day.

"Some people just need killin'..." Sad but true.

Oh, and the Carlos Castaneda book has been claimed and sent to one of our forum members. Thanks for the interest!

So did you ever get your book back? I figure since the post was from 2007, you might have another spare? I'll even loan you my favorite, "Zen Bow, Zen Arrow" in exchange.

Thanks

Brooke