Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel & Mags In The Ar

Mick

Now, keep in mind that Hennings nic "sinnsyk" means "insane" in Norwegian, and that pretty much summarizes Bill Alexanders comments on Hennings reloading data for the Grendel;-) I've been running it major in a 20" custom made upper from Alexander Arms, and it's possible to get consistent major PF without excessive pressures, but it's not easy. I will not publish the loads, if anyone wants them send me a PM.

/D

AA's loading data is conservative to say the least but, when they started they had bolt breakage issues and lowered the pressure to save the bolts. I use LWRCs 6.8 "AC bolt" opened up to the Grendel rim size and have purposely shot 65-70000 psi loads to test the strength of the bolt. In the last 6 months I've shot about 400 rounds in the 60k psi range, The Lapua brass will handle it and the bolt looks good so far but the long term test will continue.

Try 10X with bullets in the 100gr and lighter range.

I've been shooting a 19" grendel, factor AA arms upper for a couple of years.

Just wanted to add in my own observations:

I have not had any problems with the C-P mags. I have early ones and they work fine.

I can make major with 140/144 grain "Slow loads", with enough margin to be comfortable, but it pretty much max load in my gun, with, as best I can tell, no pressure problems (measures case dimensions, compared to factory ammo, observations of primer flow, etc).

I currently don't have a muzzle brake on mine, but the recoil, muzzle rise is much less than a .308.

Accuracy is good, at .75 to 1 moa with most load.

Factory brass is available, but not consistently (comes in batches).

Wolf ammo is supposed to be available, but I have never bought any myself.

I can get 95 grain Horn V-Max at around 2750, but that is MAX.

@ ar15performance

So I just have to ask a couple of questions (not to be a Debbie Downer):

1. Will 6.5 Grendel (or 6.8 SPC) rounds fit in and work reliably with a Beta Mag (C?) ?

No

@ ar15performance

2. How hard or easy or EXPENSIVE is it to find Grendel/SPC/ other wildcat brass (or to make it)? Said another way, are we gonna see 3 gun competitors out sweeping the bays with metal detectors looking for their Grendel/SPC/High Fallutin' Wildcat brass after the match?

Probably. I know that I pick up my wildcat brass. But I do not go crazy trying to find every shot round. The officials at "lost brass" matches usually do not have any problems with me picking up my wildcat brass because it is of little use to anyone else.

320pf

320pf, I'm sure you're the same one that posts on arfcom and I don't mind a bit if people shoot slow loads but, I like flat shooting cartridges.

Why should I care if someone buys a mag that you have to work on before it will function or buys a hyped up caliber just to find out in a month it was all hype, it's not my money so why should I care? Who cares if the guy next to you is shooting at half the velocity you are?

Why do people answer post on forums when someone else asks a question? some people just post to be a jackass and some post to help.

I post under the same name (320pf) on arfcom [sic] (AR15.com)... the connection is pretty obvious. So what you the point of the rest of your comment(s)?

320pf

320pf, I'm sure you're the same one that posts on arfcom and I don't mind a bit if people shoot slow loads but, I like flat shooting cartridges.

Why should I care if someone buys a mag that you have to work on before it will function or buys a hyped up caliber just to find out in a month it was all hype, it's not my money so why should I care? Who cares if the guy next to you is shooting at half the velocity you are?

Why do people answer post on forums when someone else asks a question? some people just post to be a jackass and some post to help.

I post under the same name (320pf) on arfcom [sic] (AR15.com)... the connection is pretty obvious. So what you the point of the rest of your comment(s)?

320pf

Actually you do not need to reply. This is the place to talk about shooting not to nit-pick at one another.

-ld