Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Change From 40sw To 45 Colt?

Got the Dillon 650 and its humming along with an automatic case feeder loading both 40S&W and 10mm. Changing between these calibers doesn't require any changes to the empty case drop tube, or the pivoting piece that extracts the single case to the feed ramp. I want to buy a conversion kit for the 45 Colt. But the 45 is monstrously long in comparison. It will fit inside the drop tube, but there is no way that the pivoting part will be able to extract a single case as the top of the case is still in the tube. Would the conversion kit come with a shorter tube or is that something I have to order seperately. I just don't see how it would work with the components I have now. Know its a basic question, but I've never done it and feel I would get better information here than from calling Dillon. Thanks.

Got the Dillon 650 and its humming along with an automatic case feeder loading both 40S&W and 10mm. Changing between these calibers doesn't require any changes to the empty case drop tube, or the pivoting piece that extracts the single case to the feed ramp. I want to buy a conversion kit for the 45 Colt. But the 45 is monstrously long in comparison. It will fit inside the drop tube, but there is no way that the pivoting part will be able to extract a single case as the top of the case is still in the tube. Would the conversion kit come with a shorter tube or is that something I have to order seperately. I just don't see how it would work with the components I have now. Know its a basic question, but I've never done it and feel I would get better information here than from calling Dillon. Thanks.

When you convert between calibers, you buy a caliber conversion kit from Dillon that includes some of the parts you refer to, as well as an additional shellplate, locater buttons, and all the other miscellaneous parts to make the press work with the different sized cases.

These kits are seperate from the dies, though, which are of course caliber specific and purchased seperately from Dillon or whoever you buy your dies from.

You will probably also want to buy a powder die and toolhead to make switching between other calibers simpler.

And don't forget the case feed washer (which IIRC goes under the case feed plate) for loading large cases like 45 Colt, .44 Mag, etc.

Yes, I know about conversion kits and have them for the 9mm. Understand about the shellplate, powder charger, etc. None of this is a problem and I have done it before. My question is just about the case feeder drop tube and how it relates to the pivoting feed peice. There doesn't appear to be enough room to move the drop tube UP higher enough so the pivoting piece can pull out the case. I am specifically asking about that issue.

Yes, I know about conversion kits and have them for the 9mm. Understand about the shellplate, powder charger, etc. None of this is a problem and I have done it before. My question is just about the case feeder drop tube and how it relates to the pivoting feed peice. There doesn't appear to be enough room to move the drop tube UP higher enough so the pivoting piece can pull out the case. I am specifically asking about that issue.

I don't know. I have a .45 Colt kit that I haven't used yet, and looking at the parts and the press I can understand the point you make, but I guess they wouldn't sell the kit if it wouldn't work, plus a lot of rifle rounds are a lot longer than even 45 Colt.

If you just get the 45 Colt Caliber Conversion Kit you won't need anything else (other than dies and an extra Toolhead & Powder Die, and as long as you're using the Large Pistol Casefeed Plate for 40). Nothing "special or extra" is required for 45 Colt.

be