Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having A Couple Of Small Issues W/ New 650

I just got my new 650 :wub: up and running within the last month and it has been a dream other than these two minor problems I cant seem to get rid of. First, it will fail to seat a primer in about one out of a hundred cases. It may be something i'm doing wrong but I am pretty good about not "short stroking" and I can always tell when a case is skipped by the feel of the upstroke. Things dont feel right then a few pulls later, a primer comes sliding down the ramp. Plus it ALWAYS happens in the middle of a tube so I know its not me letting it run out. The other problem is the amount of powder that gets spilled as the shellplate rotates. I have stop loading about every 150-200 rounds to vacuum it all up (I learned the first time locater buttons MUST be removed prior to vacuuming :P ) Thanks in advance for and advice, John

If you remove the shellplate you will find a bearing held in place by a spring. The spring is sometimes a little too strong so when the detent ball pushes into place it can knock some powder out. You can try trimming this spring so it does not exert as much pressure and this may help.

First, it will fail to seat a primer in about one out of a hundred cases. It may be something i'm doing wrong but I am pretty good about not "short stroking" and I can always tell when a case is skipped by the feel of the upstroke. Things dont feel right then a few pulls later, a primer comes sliding down the ramp. Plus it ALWAYS happens in the middle of a tube so I know its not me letting it run out. :P ) Thanks in advance for and advice,

John

Question, The cases that don't seat a primer, is the old primer still intacked? if so, I had a similar issue till I used locktite on the decapping pin (Dillion Dies).

Question, The cases that don't seat a primer, is the old primer still intacked? if so, I had a similar issue till I used locktite on the decapping pin (Dillion Dies).

No, the old primer is gone. It just feels like the primer punch "misses" as if there was no primer there but sometimes one still comes down the "retrieval ramp" other times it seems like no primer inserted into the primer disk.

I have this same problem sometimes. What I think happens is spring that pushes the hook that grabs the empty primer hole is weak or the hook is dragging and not going foward enough to slide into the hole. When this happens a couple of times to me in a loading session I just take the time to take the primer system out and clean the disc and it seems to help. I am going to look at the hardware store today to try to find a more powerful spring to replace the on in the primer system.